Kegs with Beer in Them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys I got some kegs from a guy and when I went to load them I discovered that they still had beer in them. When I contacted the guy to make sure it was safe to drink and that they hadn't done anything to the beer he said that once the beer gets hot it is no longer safe to drink. Now he works in the beer distribution business, but I can't seem to see why it wouldn't be safe to drink. I have some sankey taps, what do you guys think. It is bud light but I have a buddy coming into town who drink bud products. :(

if the kegs haven't been hand pumped full of air, if they have had co2 on them to serve with, then i see no reason for the beer to be bad. you might have to recarb it cause if they got warm i'm sure its flat. but they should be fine.

i'm no expert but i have a keg thats been warm, new castle, and i just ran out of co2, once my co2 is filled i'm gonna carb this sucker up and keep drinking. but mine has also been in my house since we got it, i know it wasn't hand pumped full of air so i'm good

Unsafe to drink? No way. It won't hurt you.

Tasty? Er. Depends how warm it got, and for how long. Could still be fine, worth trying.

Edit: You said it was Bud Light. There's no way to make Bud Light taste worse, and it was nasty before it got warm.

how long has it been in thee and how warm? should be fine but wont taste like it should, but its bud so you dont expect much out of it anyway

ditto x2...if it was tapped already and not kept on CO2, it will taste like shyte.

However, as many are so ready to point out, beer cannot (cannot cannot cannot), harbor pathogens. So, it'll make you sick, but it won't kill you.

I just had to take a shower in very old Icehouse beer after acquiring a keg....I didn't have a tap, so I just used the "screwdriver and hammer" method to empty it. Holy hell was that the worst smelling thing I've ever smelled! It REEKED.

I just use my sanke tap with no hoses on it to drain the kegs so that I can avoid the nasty shower of stank beer! Works like a charm

I just had to take a shower in very old Icehouse beer after acquiring a keg....I didn't have a tap, so I just used the "screwdriver and hammer" method to empty it. Holy hell was that the worst smelling thing I've ever smelled! It REEKED.

When I acquired my free bud light keg off CL it still had a fair amount of beer in it and I also took a shower in BL trying to empty it. I def got some odd looks from my neighbors in my apt complex due to the 6+ft bud light fountain out in front of my building! I finally figured out that if I laid it down on it's side it would be a lot faster blowing off the gas. You live, you learn!

When I acquired my free bud light keg off CL it still had a fair amount of beer in it and I also took a shower in BL trying to empty it. I def got some odd looks from my neighbors in my apt complex due to the 6+ft bud light fountain out in front of my building! I finally figured out that if I laid it down on it's side it would be a lot faster blowing off the gas. You live, you learn!

LOL! And I call myself an engineer....never even thought of just trying to vent the gas!

Personally I would just taste it haha. I'm sure you can taste the difference between a flat beer and a bacteria infected beer. Bud Light tastes so bad I would just recarbonate it and keep it VEEERY cold...

Back