questions about my AHS mini mash kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
1. the grains look like they could be crushed more...is this necessary ?

2. the vials of liquid yeast say to warm up to room temp and pour in...do i need to make a starter ?

1. the grains look like they could be crushed more...is this necessary ?
Wouldn't hurt. In my experience, AHS really does a good crush job, though.
2. the vials of liquid yeast say to warm up to room temp and pour in...do i need to make a starter ?

You can. I would if it's not an inconvenience. Don't freak out if you don't, though. Are you brewing a lager/high gravity ale? Those are more likely to need a starter.

There's no need for a starter on the White Labs Yeast. I usually take it out of the fridge the night before.

I have no idea on the grain but I've done several of the AHS mini-mash kits and never had any issues with them.

Can't speak to the grains, but I'd use a starter if you're able. Many people don't and have been very successful brewers, but those that do tend to swear by them.

There's no need for either of those two things... however:

1) unless you make flour out of them, crushing the grains more will help.

2) Starters always help with lag time and reduce the probability of stuck fermentations.

<\2cents>

the two in question are a sam adams clone and an AHS amber ale...i guess i need to learn how to make a starter so i'll try it with one of them.

Grain seems good and I base my crushing on what they send.

Starters - not real necessary - HOWEVER - Since I started making starters I have never worried about fermentation. Yesterday I brewed without a starter . . .well . . I made one 6 hours before I pitched so it was SORT of a starter - but anyway. Starters are easy and really make the fermentation start much much faster.

2 cups of water 1 cup of DME - boil for 5 minutes, add yeast nutrients. Cool, add yeast in a sterilized canning jar - put aluminum foil on top and swish around. Let it sit for a day or 2. Swich when ever you have a chance.

BINGO - a starter which will start your brew bubbling within 5 hours (as opposed to over night or 2 days)

Back