London Pride + Bananas = Yuk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanP

Reaction score
So I made a London Pride Clone (partial mash) and clearly I botched it. A month after bottling it has a distinctly unpleasant banana taste+aroma that I have read is attributable to poor aeration and/or too high fermentation temps. Recalling the process, both may be true (details not worth repeating :(). So the question is, should I dump this batch and put it down to experience, or will it improve/recover with age?

how old is it? You mention a month after bottle, but no age. Since this beer is 4.1 or 4.7abv (depending on vessel) I would say it has aged to the appropriate age to be mature if everything went well. Don't b too hasty to dump it. I doesn't hurt to let it rest and come back to it in a month or so to re-taste. If then, the taste doesn't improve, then maybe think about a dump.

how old is it?

Brew day was seven weeks ago. Two weeks in primary, one in secondary then bottled four weeks ago. ABV came out to 4.4%. I guess I'll give it a few more weeks and keep my fingers crossed!

It's been another month, how's it coming along? Has any of the banana aged out?
I ask because I have a banana flavor in my most recent ESB as well. Not there when it's cold and fresh poured, but as it warms - BOOM goes the banana!

I think I'll hide them away for another month or so...

Did you brew with German Hefe yeast before, and could those cells still be alive in your fermenter?

RE: Hefe yeast - Not me (at least not in that container), but maybe the OP.

I pitched onto a S-04 yeast cake from a norhtern brown that turned our really well.
Brewed 3/6/09. Primary for 3 weeks, secondary 1 week, then into bottles. Ambient temp during ferm was 60dF and the wort was at 64dF when I siphoned it onto the cake. Maybe I bottle conditioned it at too high temp or possibly just had a funky bottle. I'll have another bottle tomorrow. IF that is funky then I'll take the remaining 4 bottles of my sample 6-er out of the fridge and let them age under the stairs with the rest for another 3-4weeks and re-try....

Back