Lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Last evening I racked my pale ale to a keg,though I may end up wishing I had done a secondary due to trub mess. Several good sized chunks made their way into the siphon hose so now they're in my keg. I'm actually thinking I may filter this one because it's made for the people in my family that don't typically drink homebrew so clearer might be better anyway. So,lesson 1.... strain the wort when I pour into the fermenter. Lesson 2.. if you can't find a racking cane, wait to rack until you replace the cane (BTW...anybody just use copper tubing fo this?).
I do think this batch may turn out to be a recipe I'll be asked to make again.... it's very light colored and the hydro sample tasted very good,even flat,green and cloudy. Exactly what I was intending to make I think,but we'll know in a week or so for sure.

i had some junk in by first kegged batch, it blew out right at the start and wasn't a problem. I'm also in college though, with the full lack of standards observed frequently.

If you get that baby cold in the keg (the colder the better) and let it sit for a week or two the first pint pulled for the next couple of days might have some trub/yeast it, but after that, you'll likely have crystal clear beer.

That's the beauty of kegs. :tank:

Agreed. let the keg be your secondary. The only time I'd bother with a real secondary is for bottling or if I needed a long conditioning time and didn't want to tie up a keg.

Well, it's certainly cold in that fridge,and I didn't plan on touching the tap for at least a week, so maybe I'm good, huh? I think I'm gonna love this kegging stuff!

Well, it's certainly cold in that fridge,and I didn't plan on touching the tap for at least a week, so maybe I'm good, huh? I think I'm gonna love this kegging stuff!

Worst case. If it is still cloudy in a week. You could open it and try adding Gelatin.

Lots do this in teh keg but I always worry I'll plug a poppet so I put the Gelatin in at the very last week of Primary (Usually 3-4 weeks total).

Back