Adding DME after fermentation on my 09-09-09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of the 09-09-09 yesterday (AG), but my efficiency sucked. My OG was nearly .020 lower than it should be (1.102 vs 1.021). Since this is supposed to be a barleywine I'd like to get the ABV up higher.

The problem is that I'm out of extract that I usually use for my starters so I can't add it right now. (Fermentation is rather vigorous right now.) I'm leaving my house on Thursday to head to the GABF, so I can't order DME on-line and receive it in time. I can go to the homebrew shop in Denver and add boiled DME on Sunday.

Is this too late? What would be the repercussions if I did go this route?

I don't know if fermentation will will be completed by then, but it sure have subsided.

Ideas/comments/suggestions?

I could be talking out of my ass, but I think if you were to add the extract, boiled and sanitized of course, you may be able to achieve something resembling the results you are looking for. Is that vague enough for you. Seriously though, I would give it a shot. You may need to add some dry yeast as well but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Good luck.

I don't see any harm in doing this, though I'm not sure it's necessary. Plenty of folks brewed this from 1.095-1.105 range and I'm sure theirs will be just as good as mine at 1.119. Maybe better. :)

I don't see any harm in doing this, though I'm not sure it's necessary. Plenty of folks brewed this from 1.095-1.105 range and I'm sure theirs will be just as good as mine at 1.119. Maybe better. :)
Agreed 1.102 is still a strong Barleywine. I have adjusted gravity on other beers I've done using DME. I find it works best for fuller flavored beers such as this barleywine. Would not be a problem if you wanted to bump up the gravity more.

I think I'd wait till fermentation was settling down and then put in the boiled DME to get it to kick off again, that may help you get a better (lower) FG than otherwise.

I'm in the same boat, I targeted 1.119 and got 1.105 (and that was a pretty generous reading, if I may say so).

I think I'm leaving mine - it's not like I'm going to miss the extra .75% or 1.0% ABV, it's still gonna be a big mamma jamma.

If you do add DME to it though.... The yeast present SHOULD pick up on it just fine - even after you've been gone all weekend. If they DON'T eat the sugars, try sanitizing a metal spoon, and gently stirring just a little bit to rouse the yeast. (Or if you use a carboy, you can just swirl. Swirling is harder to accomplish in a bucket. I keep my big ol' S/S kitchen spoon around for those kinds of tasks. :p )

I'd take a reading first though. If it's sitting at 1.040 FG, that might be an indicator that the yeast got tired and gave up.... whereas if it's already sitting there, waiting for you, at 1.020 FG, perhaps the yeast are still hungry for a second snack?

I brewed a batch of the 09-09-09 yesterday (AG), but my efficiency sucked. My OG was nearly .020 lower than it should be (1.102 vs 1.021). Since this is supposed to be a barleywine I'd like to get the ABV up higher.

I assume you meant that your OG was 1.102 and was supposed to be 1.121 (not 1.021) :)

IIRC, Jamil actually suggests making barleywines and similar high OG beers by adding more and more DME over the course of the fermentation.

It comes down to the yeast being stressed by being dropped into such a high OG wort resulting in a higher than expected FG.

Instead if you start them out in a lower OG wort and keep bumping in additions of DME, then the yeast are able adapt to the conditions.

I also believe he recommends using a very large starter...

So you might be on the right track even though you had issues with efficiency...nice job!

Yeah, I meant .121. :drunk:

I used 2 x 1.25qt starters for the brew, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd really like to get this beer into the 11-13% range not around 10%, so I'm gonna try adding some boiled DME on Sunday.

Oh, and by the sound of my blow-off tube, the yeast are having a DANDY time in there. :ban:

If you are above 1.100 is going to be a pretty hefty beer. I'd just leave it. Boiled DME shouldnt hurt anything though.

Similar to a few others, my 09-09-09 landed at 1.104 OG. It was at 1.022 last weekend when I transferred to secondary. That's about 10.7% ABV... which should suffice for knocking me on my arse a few times. :ban:

Back