General questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbock220

Reaction score
Keep in mind I just got here and I haven't spent much time researching yet. Also, there is no need to get too specific, I'm just scratching the surface here...

- What should I expect for basic start-up costs?
- How much area do I need to set-up a "beginner's" system?
- How much time should I expect to devote to brewing?

- How do I refer to system sizes, such as my local micro-brewer's system v. my home system v. macro-brews? I want to know if I can transition my home brewing hobby into a micro-brewing business.
- Are there sizes in between the ones I mentioned?
- What changes when your system changes?
- Do the recipes carry over from a smaller system to a larger system?

Thanks everyone.

jbock220 said:
What should I expect for basic start-up costs?
It depends how much you want to put into it -- that's the beauty of it, people can make great beer on minimal equipment as well as high-end systems. You may have a lot of equipment already (pot, funnel, etc.). I'd say $50-100?

How much area do I need to set-up a "beginner's" system?
Not a lot.

How much time should I expect to devote to brewing?
Depends, how much beer do you want? :) I'd say to start, leave 4-6 hours from start to finish. Then, once you figure out what you're doing that time will decrease.

How do I refer to system sizes, such as my local micro-brewer's system v. my home system v. macro-brews? I want to know if I can transition my home brewing hobby into a micro-brewing business.
Usually people brewing at home refer to it in gallons (5, 10, etc.). Once you get past that, you're talking 'barrels'. But it's too early to be thinking about brewing as a career. :)

What changes when your system changes?
Do the recipes carry over from a smaller system to a larger system?
You can scale recipes up and down. Brewing software will be your friend in this case.

Thanks. I found a supplier by accident today. I think it was fate. If he's open I might go down tomorrow and pick up what I need for batch #1. I search the threads for more info. Thanks again.

Back