Electric Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So if anybody has made an electric brew kettle, about how many heat sticks do you need to get a good boil?

It all depends on the wattage and quantity of wort. 4500 watts is serving me well for 5 gallons.

Approx 4400w works well for me for 7.6 gal vigorous boils.

Edit - there was a discussion a while back on the e-TFs. I believe the conclusion was that they didn't have enough wattage because oil boils with less energy than water because there's little to no evapouration with oil.

Yeah, i have one of those things currently, but the electric elements are significantly larger than the normal hot water elements. It seems that if i was doing 10 gallons i'd probably need two?

denimglen said:
Approx 4400w works well for me for 7.6 gal vigorous boils.

Edit - there was a discussion a while back on the e-TFs. I believe the conclusion was that they didn't have enough wattage because oil boils with less energy than water because there's little to no evapouration with oil.

How long does it take you to go from mash temps to the boil? I am curious. Thanks! S.

Not too long, i never really timed it so i can't give you a definitive answer, but let me tell you the price for that turkey fryer on ebay is way too high, i have seen those exact ones in wal-marts and sams clubs for like 99 bucks...

I bought a similiar unit off ebay w/out the spigot and non-didital. It is handy and I use it to heat sparge water. I also use it as a boil kettle but I supplement w/ a heat stick. Bottom line...they are nice units at the right price. I paid 50 bucks free shipping. Others I remember pruchased at H Depot for like 30 bucks on clearance. Handy unit but nothing to build a brewery around. They heat pretty slow. I fill mine, power it up and go do something else for an hour or so.
I also use an 11 gal ss bayou classic propane turkey frier. having done both, I can say that niether gas or electric is superior...both have their merits.

Whew. sorry i followed the hijack and ignored the orig. question.

I would say 2 heatsticks are required for a 6 gal boil. Of course this varies as to the ambient temp, kettle insulation, etc. 3-5000 watts.

Rockforwhite,

Will these be mounted in a keg? People have done it many ways...some use a big element w/ a means to control it. Some use two elements and control one to fine tune the boil. Others have had success using two elements to achieve boil and one to maintain boil. I've researched and haven't come up with def. plan.

10 gal. pretty much necesitates going w/ a 240 v system on gfi's of course. I can't remeber the specifics but I recall someoen building a system w/ two elements and fairly sophisticated controls only to realize in the end that two elements contolled individually worked almost as well.

If I were to build one this afternoon I would go with a 3500 and a 4500 and do some field testing.. Hopefully someone else can give us hard facts as I am interested as well.
Mike

Back