Oysters!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Texas friends just left, and they gifted us with several packages of frozen shucked oysters!

I have enough for several meals, but she told me her favorite way is a simple recipe.

She told me to thaw and drain the oysters, and then use a ton of butter and garlic in a cast iron pan. Add the oysters and cook slightly. Add some chopped spinach and cook the rest of the way. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.

I'm making that tonight! I'll take a few pictures and let you know how it turns out.

I like breaded and fried oysters, too, so that will probably be next up.

I cannot think of any recipe or method of preparing oysters that I dont love. I need to meet and befriend your Texas friends.

I cannot think of any recipe or method of preparing oysters that I dont love. I need to meet and befriend your Texas friends.

Well, c'mon down to the Texas Gulf coast in January, February, or March, and I'll introduce you!

The bought a place in Wisconsin about 2.5 hours a way from us here, so this was the first time we've seen them at our house.

In three months, we will be right down the canal and street from them. I'm sure there will be lots more oysters then!

I love oysters as any respectable gulf coast resident should. :) Of course my favorite way of eating them is on the half shell with a little tobasco and horseradish. That recipe sounds pretty good Yooper. They're good fried as long as they're not over cooked and dry in the middle.
Enjoy!

I love oysters as any respectable gulf coast resident should. :) Of course my favorite way of eating them is on the half shell with a little tobasco and horseradish. That recipe sounds pretty good Yooper. They're good fried as long as they're not over cooked and dry in the middle.
Enjoy!

Oh, I love them raw and that is my favorite as well. I heard I'm getting a new oyster knife and kevlar glove for Christmas (I heard the guys talking last night), and I love grilling them on the half shell as well with some hot sauce and butter and garlic!

They must have shucked a whole sack, froze them and brought them to me. There are a LOT of oysters! These oysters are from the Rockport area, where they live.

Pan fried with simple corn meal and a little cajun seasoning, dipped in 1/2tobasco 1/2 fresh lemon juice.

Or....

Thrown in for the last minute (thawed) of a nice dark gumbo.

Yooper said:
They must have shucked a whole sack, froze them and brought them to me. There are a LOT of oysters! These oysters are from the Rockport area, where they live.

It's great to have friends like that.
The best fried oysters I've had we're from a place in Corpus Christi.(Which isn't too far from Rockport) These had to be the biggest oysters I've ever seen. One oyster alone took 3 bites to finish. They were fried to perfection, still plump and juicy under the light breading. Now I'm hungry for oysters!

We've thrown them strait from the water onto a grill with lots of moist applewood and eaten them as they opened.

Yooper, when you thaw them don't throw the liquid away, I make a simple oyster stew using the liquid, some heavy cream, salt, pepper, onions, a little garlic, parsley and lots of real butter.

I grew up on oysters and the likes. Living where I do that was good poor folk food!
I love oysters about any way you can serve them.
Raw, stew, pan fried, put them on the BBQ in the shell and wait for them to pop open, put some water in the bottom of a large pot ( beer keg ) and steam them open.
The last was the most common way of having them when I was a youngster. Me and a buddy worked out in the oysters and we would regularly take a bushel home, steam them and drink beer. MMMMMMM....
When I read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be an oyster beer! That could be good also.

Unfortunately, I developed a shellfish allergy ten years ago or so. My favorite food is oysters, I live where they are plentiful, my brother has a shellfish business with steamer clams and oysters and I can't eat any!

I thought your were gona make an oyster beer. I nearly vomited on my laptop

Hey pairing oyster and stouts it´s an all time favourite, I tried an oyster stout too (more that once actually) and I think it´s reptty good, they use only the shell tougth. It can be interesting

sounds good. my homebrew club has an annual oysterslurp which is pretty fun. we get em in shell so we either bbq them or just eat them raw... pretty awesome they are pre-shucked for ya though.

Hey pairing oyster and stouts it´s an all time favourite, I tried an oyster stout too (more that once actually) and I think it´s reptty good, they use only the shell tougth. It can be interesting

Only use the shell??
Must be dirty shells and they are getting residual oystery bits.
The shell is calcium. No flavor other than the muddy flavors that absorb into the outside.
There used to be a place that ground them up to be used as calcium supplements up the road from me.
I know they still sell it some places.

I think an oyster ale could be good. You would just have to figure out how much oyster to use so that it wasn't over powering.
You could drop some oysters in the boil, then eat them!
Mmmmm.....

They just seemed a little salty to me (i think marstons only use the shells). And there is very good examples of good oyster stouts made with real oyster (the whole thing) like the ones brewed by porterhouse.

Yeah actually pouring a bit of stout into that recipe woud make it taste great... at my event we were pouring stout on the BBQ'd oysters and it worked out pretty well

A recipe with stout an oyster (not a beer recipe a snack recipe):
open the oyster remove it from shell, reserve the oyster water and shell, wrap the oyster in bacon, put a toothpick to hold the bacon there,
grill for very little time the bacon wrap oyster, reserve.
In a pan caramelize a little onion well chopped, combine a little bit of stout the oyster water, pute in the pan ans reduce a little bit, season your sauce put your previously grilled oyster in the pan, heat for 1 minute.
You can serve in the original shell put the oyster in the center and put sauce and onion on top.
Voila.

A recipe with stout an oyster (not a beer recipe a snack recipe):
open the oyster remove it from shell, reserve the oyster water and shell, wrap the oyster in bacon, put a toothpick to hold the bacon there,
grill for very little time the bacon wrap oyster, reserve.
In a pan caramelize a little onion well chopped, combine a little bit of stout the oyster water, pute in the pan ans reduce a little bit, season your sauce put your previously grilled oyster in the pan, heat for 1 minute.
You can serve in the original shell put the oyster in the center and put sauce and onion on top.
Voila.

Is this one you've made? Oyster and bacon do sound good together but oysters cook so much faster than bacon that it seems like it would be a hard on to pull off.

Is this one you've made? Oyster and bacon do sound good together but oysters cook so much faster than bacon that it seems like it would be a hard on to pull off.

I actually did this recipe but with pancetta, wich doesn´t requiered to be crispy like bacon, didn´t knew if you guys actually know what pancetta was (my bad) so i sub with bacon. But after think it twice and seeing your comment i wouldn´t sub it and just used pancetta or any other kind of salt-cured -ike baconey-kind-of-meat.
What i just wrote but with pancetta.

My camera was dead, so I took a few crappy cell phone pictures while I cooked.

sorry for the bad quality.
1025121546.jpg

1025121547a.jpg

1025121550.jpg

I couldn't use my cast iron skillets, as they are at out other house. But I used the ceramic coated, with a TON of butter and garlic. We didn't have any spinach, so Bob ran out to the garden and picked some kale.

This was AWESOME. Completely awesome. That was over two dozen oysters. I could have eaten all of it myself, but Bob insisted on his half!

We have plenty left. We're going to do fried next, breaded lightly in cornmeal/flour and "slap yo mama" seasoning. And we're talking about oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving. But we might do an oyster stew.

Looks great! Kale is probably my favorite green, so I'd say that's a great substitution.

Down here, they say that oysters are only good in months with an "R" in them. Those harvested in Ray, Rune, Jury, and Aurgust just don't taste the same.

Down here, they say that oysters are only good in months with an "R" in them. Those harvested in Ray, Rune, Jury, and Aurgust just don't taste the same.

Oh, I agree! We only eat them in the winter. Our friends shuck and froze these shortly after we left them in March. (We spend the winters down the street from them, and actually should see them about 3 months from today in Texas). They were fantastic!

Pan fried with simple corn meal and a little cajun seasoning, dipped in 1/2tobasco 1/2 fresh lemon juice.

Or....

Thrown in for the last minute (thawed) of a nice dark gumbo.

Add some file in with them there oysters and world peace could be a possibility.

Oh, I agree! We only eat them in the winter. Our friends shuck and froze these shortly after we left them in March. (We spend the winters down the street from them, and actually should see them about 3 months from today in Texas). They were fantastic!

Never thought about freezing them. Were they good? Never seen frozen oysters in the store either. Everything else, but never oysters.

Yep. Those warm non R months the oysters are spawning. They get nasty and slimy.

Never thought about freezing them. Were they good? Never seen frozen oysters in the store either. Everything else, but never oysters.

Back when I could eat them ( before I developed an allergy to shell fish ) I would freeze them in quarts. The perfect size for an oyster fry for one.

Man I miss being able to eat them. My favorite food in the world.

WesleyS said:
It's great to have friends like that.
The best fried oysters I've had we're from a place in Corpus Christi.(Which isn't too far from Rockport) These had to be the biggest oysters I've ever seen. One oyster alone took 3 bites to finish. They were fried to perfection, still plump and juicy under the light breading. Now I'm hungry for oysters!

What place are you talking about in CC? I have family there and I'd love to try it out when I visit again.

Also, what beer is best paired with oysters? Not to make with oysters but to drink while eating oysters.

boxofjibboo said:
What place are you talking about in CC? I have family there and I'd love to try it out when I visit again.

Also, what beer is best paired with oysters? Not to make with oysters but to drink while eating oysters.

Tavern on the Bay at Harrison's Landing. It's been about a year and a half since I went there.
I can't give them the best rating because of a few things that happened. There was a live band and the music was way way too loud and a waiter spilled a whole glass of water down my mother's back without so much as a visit or apology from a manager. So that kinda soured the night a little. But I was completely satisfied with my food. I ordered the seafood combo which includes fish and two each of the largest oysters and shrimp I've ever eaten. When I make it back down to Corpus Christi I'll definitely be going back.

Yes, they were great! I didn't eat them raw, like I do with fresh oysters, but they smelled and tasted great when cooked. I kept the liquor, and froze that, for using in a chowder.

Tavern on the Bay at Harrison's Landing. It's been about a year and a half since I went there.
I can't give them the best rating because of a few things that happened. There was a live band and the music was way way too loud and a waiter spilled a whole glass of water down my mother's back without so much as a visit or apology from a manager. So that kinda soured the night a little. But I was completely satisfied with my food. I ordered the seafood combo which includes fish and two each of the largest oysters and shrimp I've ever eaten. When I make it back down to Corpus Christi I'll definitely be going back.

I've never been there. I don't know if we'll try it or not, but thanks for the tip. We normally don't go out for seafood, since it's better at home, and my experiences, at least in Port A, are that the seafood in restaurants hasn't been all that good. We rarely go out, but when we do here is our favorite spot in CC: http://ichibanjapaneseseafoodbuffet.com/

Since last night's dinner, I've been thinking about grilling oysters on the half shell. Butter, garlic, lemon and hot sauce, on oysters on the grill just cooked until they are barely done. Maybe some shrimp on skewers next to the oysters, and perhaps some redfish on the grill also. I can't wait!

The next oyster meal here is going to be fried oysters. I love them fried, too.

Yooper said:
I've never been there. I don't know if we'll try it or not, but thanks for the tip. We normally don't go out for seafood, since it's better at home, and my experiences, at least in Port A, are that the seafood in restaurants hasn't been all that good. We rarely go out, but when we do here is our favorite spot in CC: http://ichibanjapaneseseafoodbuffet.com/

Since last night's dinner, I've been thinking about grilling oysters on the half shell. Butter, garlic, lemon and hot sauce, on oysters on the grill just cooked until they are barely done. Maybe some shrimp on skewers next to the oysters, and perhaps some redfish on the grill also. I can't wait!

The next oyster meal here is going to be fried oysters. I love them fried, too.

I know what you mean. I grew up eating a lot of seafood at home, so I sometimes have a hard time eating seafood in a restaurant. It's just usually not the same.
But it sounds like you have some good meals coming up with those oysters.

Back