Hard Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Crow

Reaction score
I tried to make hard cider from store bought cider and yeast. It seemed to work but it stank. this is the first time i tried this so im a total newb. Here are my questions:

1. Do i have to use brewers yeast or can i use baking yeast.
2. how long should i let it sit and what should the conditions be in the place i am storing it. (hot, warm, cold, light, dark ect.)

:mug:
Adrian Crow

1) Use an ale or wine yeast depending on how fruity/dry you want your cider to end up. "Brewers" yeast from a health food join is going to produce an awful drink and bread yeast even worse.

2) Ciders tend to take a while. Like a wine, I say you should be racking it every month until it clears. If you are making a flat apple wine, use some campden tables once you have hit your desired dryness. Let it clear and bottle/keg. It might take months to clear and taste good depending on what you used for juice and yeast. Some juices will never clear without filtering or treatment and are harder to judge. Usually a cider is ready to drink in about 3 months.

During primary fermentation you want it at a nice comfy temp for your yeast. Usually somewhere around 68-72f. Once the gravity stabilizes rack it into a secondary and story that as cold as you can. Mid 30's being ideal, but you won't hurt anything to leave it around 70f. IMHO you should do all of the aging in glass, not plastic.

I thought you'd get more responses in the cider thread, so I moved it here for you.

Cider is fermented more like wine, as JimC said. The easiest way- sanitize a large glass jug (Carlo Rossi jug works great!) and pour in the cider and cider yeast. (Ale yeast, if you can't find cider yeast). Pop in a sanitized #6 bung and airlock and wait. When it's clear, rack into a clean jug and airlock again. Keep it around 70 degrees, and rack a couple of times. In about 4-6 months, you'll have good hard cider. You can bottle in beer bottles and caps, if you want; or PET bottles with screwtop caps work well, too.

I think I've basically reiterated everything JimC said- sorry about that! But it's good advice!

Adrian Crow said:
I tried to make hard cider from store bought cider and yeast. It seemed to work but it stank. this is the first time i tried this so im a total newb. Here are my questions:

1. Do i have to use brewers yeast or can i use baking yeast.
2. how long should i let it sit and what should the conditions be in the place i am storing it. (hot, warm, cold, light, dark ect.)

:mug:
Adrian Crow

You should probably wait until December of 2008, when you turn 21.

Just saying.

I try to defend users against statements about age, but no shadow of a doubt here.

Bannination?

Jon_Doe said:
I try to defend users against statements about age, but no shadow of a doubt here.

Bannination?
I hate when this happens. This kid seems cordial and genuinely interested in the proper procedures.

However, it's hard to condone what's clearly illegal. For now, I'll pretend his hometown is somewhere in Europe and wish him the best.

I am of age and it is illegal to brew in Utah.... So who is more wrong? Or should I say less right.....

pa-in-utah said:
I am of age and it is illegal to brew in Utah.... So who is more wrong? Or should I say less right.....

If he is infact in the USA then it is Illegal for him to brew.. just as it is for you to brew (according to your post)
Why can't you both be the same amount of wrong? (or right)

SpamDog

wait is it illega for me to bew or just to drink? cause as hard as it may be to belive i dont drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back