Manifold help..Which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
I struggeled with my manifold the last batch (the U shaped one, top picure) do ya think the "O" style one i made will be better? Its for my 5 gallon mash tun, the one i made for my 10 is great cause its bigger of course but the 5 gallon is limited on space. I do 3 gallon batches in the winter so i like the 5 gallon cooler. Just let me know what ya think. And of course using the cpvc i am very limited on bends in the pipe, hence why the new design is very offset.

Thanks in advance, just let me know what ya think will work better, the "U" or the "O" style one. Also with the U style one, theres no support in the middle so i lifted the right side up while stirring and had a stuck sparge:(

Was also looking at 5 gallon 9" false bottoms but dont feel like dropping 32 bucks on something that will get stuck too..

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

New version looks better. My manifold built originally for my 5 gallon mashtun transferred seamlessly to my 10-gallon set up.

Remember, keep those slits on the down side of that manifold.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

Cool, thanks for the imput. Im hopeing with this design i wont have to worry about one side lifting up and getting grains caught underneith, That was my biggest problem with the "U" design. It would come out nice for the vourlauf but after that it was very, very slow...

Just curious... Is there a reason you chose to use a more complicated pipe design like this as opposed to a simple stainless steel braided supply line? I am wondering what to do, myself.

Just curious... Is there a reason you chose to use a more complicated pipe design like this as opposed to a simple stainless steel braided supply line? I am wondering what to do, myself.

Cause im a pipe fitter and like to challenge myself....lol

Plus I heard that the SS braid can get crushed over time, cpvc is also easier to clean and remove after each use..

To the OP - second design should be better. You want to minimize the distance the wort has to travel - so by connecting the loop, you cut the travel distance significantly for wort on the right side (i.e., it doesn't have to flow all the way through).

John Palmer has a nice appendix in How to Brew:
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Building the Manifold

People use both copper & CPVC with great results. I chose copper because I think it looks awesome.

EDIT: I've heard mixed results on using a false bottoms in the cooler tuns - the heat expands/contracts the size, such that it makes for a difficult fit. You'd want a domed bottom I think to keep the grains out and to prevent channeling on the side. But the manifold works great (esp. for batch sparging) and is much cheaper.

Makes sense... And why did you choose copper over plastic?

The other member has copper, i have the cpvc...cost is the main thing, i can build a manifild for about 3 bucks using cpvc as oppose to using copper would be about triple that cost..

SS braid works awesome if you put a Foof Grade plastic hose inside of it - one that fits well - with a bunch of holes drilled/cut all around - (my buddies resembles the star pattern on the flag, rolled up of course!!)

This holds the shape, no squishing while allowing impressive flow. We actually open his ball valve only halfway when I help him on brewday.

Heres the design i came up with for my 10 gallon, of course its alot easier to design a manifold cause theres more room to play with. I may use the same design for the 10 as i did on my 5 gallon the "O" shaped up. But for now the 10 gallon manifold works..

IMG_0701.jpg

I used a copper manifold that I made for my first 4 all grain batches. I use a domed 9" false bottom now and love it! I have used it for about 10 10gallon batches now and it hasn't gotten stuck or slowed down during any of them. My favorite recipe has about 4 pounds of flaked corn in it and this always gave me headaches with my manifold getting stuck. In my opinion the false bottom was the best $30 I ever spent! By the way I am using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round water cooler from Home Depot as my mash tun.

Back