Storing empty bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstick

Reaction score
I don't have room indoors, so have been storing recycled empty bottles on shelves in the carport(no exterior walls).
The last time I bottled, I had to clean out all the bottles. Rinsing off exterior dust was just annoying, but I had to carefully peer into the bottles to look for interior debris. Usually I'm pretty conscientious about rinsing before storing, but I had to discard about 10% of the bottles because of sludge, sawdust, mystery dust, dead roaches . . . (gawd, I hope I got them all! It would be a real party foul to serve beer with roach parts floating in it.)
I've now started storing my empties by:
1. thorough rinse.
2. 2 or 3 squirts with Star-San
3. Wrapping a small square of aluminum foil tightly over the cap.
4. Sanitize with SS day of bottling

Is this the best way?

I keep mine in my basement workroom (not outdoors, but plenty of sawdust and other stuff floating around). I keep them in milk crates covered with a square of cardboard cut to fit the box, and then cover a stack of two crates with a heavy black plastic trash bag. They stay nice and clean. Incidentally, I keep full bottles the same way while conditioning before they make their way into the fridge.

I clean them out and cover with aluminum foil to keep particles from getting in. Then on bottling day I rinse with starsan and bottle.

I keep mine in my basement workroom (not outdoors, but plenty of sawdust and other stuff floating around). I keep them in milk crates covered with a square of cardboard cut to fit the box, and then cover a stack of two crates with a heavy black plastic trash bag. They stay nice and clean. Incidentally, I keep full bottles the same way while conditioning before they make their way into the fridge.

I keep mine the same way...just garbage bags though..no carboard..:mug:

I store mine indoors, but how about just storing them upside down in their case/pack containers. Whatever goes in, eventually goes or falls out.

I too keep most of mine upside down in cases, half cases or 6 pack containers to keep dust out.

I clean after use, and then rinse and sanitize on bottle day.

I just store upside down in cases and blast them with a bottle cleaner that attatches to my faucet before sanitizing and using them on brew day.

Latest posts

Back