Growler on stirplate success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished building a stirplate and am about to order a 1" stirbar. I was wondering if anyone had success with using a (clear) growler on a stirplate and getting the bar to stay in the center.

I would like to save some money by using these instead of a flask, as I have many of them laying around.

Hello all,

I just finished building a stirplate and am about to order a 1" stirbar. I was wondering if anyone had success with using a (clear) growler on a stirplate and getting the bar to stay in the center.

I would like to save some money by using these instead of a flask, as I have many of them laying around.

Yes

I have two that work out of the 4 I tried.
Takes a little hunting around to get it set right but then you should be good to go.

I made my stir plate last week, and used it for the first time last night with a brown growler. It took a try or two to get it centered, but it is working well

yeah, mine works fine with a growler. I've done at least a dozen starters with a 1/2 gallon growler.

I did eventual upgrade to a flask to streamline my sanitation. With a flask you can boil the starter in the flask then cool in the flask. No transferring. When it's time to pitch you can flame the opening on the flask. Less risk of infection.

I recently began making starters and I'm three for three using a 1 gallon "growler". I've heard other people say that growlers throw the stir bar, but I've never had it happen. Cleaning may be easier with a flask, but if you're too lazy to rinse out a pot and funnel then I'd be surprised that you're making to the effort to make a starter. You can also flame the mouth of a growler just as you would a flask.

Back