Anyone have a recipe for a Sweetwater IPA or Foothills Hoppyum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I attempted a Sweetwater IPA'ish clone recently.

My grain bill was

12 lbs. 2-Row
12oz. Munich 10L
4 oz. Caramel 120L

For hops i went with Summit for bittering and Columbus everywhere else.

1 oz. Summit 60min
1 oz. Columbus 10 min
1 oz. Columbus 5 min
1 oz. Columbus 0 min
1 oz. Columbus Dry Hop 7 days

Mashed at 150F for an hour, and used US-05 for 2 weeks.

It's somewhat close but it doesn't have that kick you in the face grapefruit characteristic.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks Chello,
Maybe a tweaking with the hops might do it then.
You must be close to the brewery - have you been for a plant tour?

Cheers!

Several times. I live just a few miles from the brewery. The tour leaves much to be desired, but the tasting room on the other hand is well worth it.

I have a thred going about Ninkasi ipa rite now it has big grapefruit flaver also. Im told amarillo and cenntinal are the hops getting it there.

I've heard from many sources that Aubie is absolutely right -- Lots & lots of Simcoe in SW IPA. Large amount of dry hopping, too. I'd guess substantially more than 1 oz. If I were making an attempt (& I love SW's IPA, so I might), I'd try 2 or 2.5 oz of dryhopping on first attempt.

By the way, because SW IPA is unfiltered & unpasteurized, you can culture their yeast if you are so inclined. It's a monster fermenter! I've used it in all my American style ales for the last nine months, and absolutely love it. I made an all-Columbus hops IPA recently. It fermented down from 1.063 to 1.010 with an incredibly vigorous ferment, dropping down to 1.014 in the first 24-36 hours after pitching. Great stuff.

Many thanks for the comments!

I like to buy hops in bulk from HopsDirect.com:

Buy Leaf Hops - Puterbaugh Farms

Unfortunately, they do not carry Simcoe. Anyone have a recommended bulk hop supplier or know of a substitute for Simcoe.

Getting thirsty just thinking about it.

Cheers!

I've heard from many sources that Aubie is absolutely right -- Lots & lots of Simcoe in SW IPA. Large amount of dry hopping, too. I'd guess substantially more than 1 oz. If I were making an attempt (& I love SW's IPA, so I might), I'd try 2 or 2.5 oz of dryhopping on first attempt.

By the way, because SW IPA is unfiltered & unpasteurized, you can culture their yeast if you are so inclined. It's a monster fermenter! I've used it in all my American style ales for the last nine months, and absolutely love it. I made an all-Columbus hops IPA recently. It fermented down from 1.063 to 1.010 with an incredibly vigorous ferment, dropping down to 1.014 in the first 24-36 hours after pitching. Great stuff.

I'v heard different things about the yeast. A member of my brew club cultured some and sent SW an email asking about how to use it best. They said it is very low attenuating so you should mash very low (like in the mid to low 140's).

I'm not so sure of the Simcoe, i get no pine sol from the beer. I would think it uses some kind of clean bittering addition, with maybe a ton of cascades or even NZ Riwaka's.

Looks like Simcoe is only available in pellets. I loathe pellets.

If I was to go with Cascade, can someone give me a hop schedule to go with Chello's recipe.

Cheers!

I'd use something with a high alpha for bittering (just to save you some money)

Then something like this...

1 oz. Summit or Warrior @ 60min (or like 3 oz. Cascade, something to get ~55ibu's)
1 oz. Cascade @ 10min
1 oz. Cascade @ 5 min
2 oz. Cascade @ 0 min

1 or 2 oz. Cascade for Dry Hop (7 - 14 days)

That what i would do if i were doing this over with Cascades. Be sure to let us know how it turns out if you brew it.

Many thanks Chello,

I'll let you know how it turns out. What are your thoughts on First Wort Hopping?

Also, when I first started home-brewing, the conventional wisdom was hops at @ 60, 30 and 5 min, supposedly for bitterness, flavor and aroma, respectively. I notice that you have no hops @ 30 min. Only curious - I have only now began to catch up on new thinking.

Thanks again for your post.

Cheers!

Many thanks Chello,

I'll let you know how it turns out. What are your thoughts on First Wort Hopping?

Also, when I first started home-brewing, the conventional wisdom was hops at @ 60, 30 and 5 min, supposedly for bitterness, flavor and aroma, respectively. I notice that you have no hops @ 30 min. Only curious - I have only now began to catch up on new thinking.

Thanks again for your post.

Cheers!

I think that the new era has a stronger feeling that any hops added before about 15 minutes from the end of the boil loose the majority of their flavor and aroma and instead just adds to the bitterness. A little flavor may be gained if added at 30 min, but not nearly the amount if added towards the end of the boil.

If anyone is still interested in a Hoppyum recipe, I created this recipe using the stats on the Foothills Brewing website and from talking to a brewer. Unfortunately I couldn't get the actual hop schedule and grain ratios. Also, when comparing side by side, one Hoppyum bomber had the same stats I based my recipe on from the website. The other bottle listed Columbus hops in addition to the ones I used here. And the IBU for that bottle said 78 vs 70. Not sure why they had different info or which is more current. Oh well.

At any rate, the side by side comparison was very encouraging to me as this was my first all-grain recipe that I formulated from scratch. The color of the real Hoppyum vs Homebrewing was dead on. The Homebrew had a slightly stronger aroma, but that could be due to freshness vs sitting on a shelf. Taste was almost identical as well. Homebrewing was only slightly more 'flavorful', but again could be due to freshness. Overall, I am extremely happy with this recipe. Will definitely be brewing it again.

ABV 6.3%
IBU 70
Color 7.9SRM

Preboil Gravity: 1.049
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014

Volume Before Boil: 6.50 US gals
Volume After Boil: 5.25 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals

11lb 0oz of US 2-Row Malt
1lb 0oz of US Caramel 20L Malt
8.00 oz of US Caramel 40L Malt

Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes

1.27 oz of US Simcoe (60 Min From End)
0.75 oz of US Cascade (30 Min From End)
1.00 oz of US Centennial (5 Min From End)
0.73 oz of US Simcoe (Dry Hop)
0.50 oz of US Centennial (Dry Hop)
0.50 oz of US Cascade (Dry Hop)

Whirlfloc Tablet 10 minutes from end of boil

White Labs Yeast WLP001-California Ale (Starter recommended)

I did a long primary, no secondary, and added Polyclar at kegging. Racked to keg on day 36

Latest posts

Back