areation for the wort.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
in an attempt to get O2 into the wort for the start of the fermentation i thought up this idea let me know what you think. I start with adding the wort to a sanitized glass carboy and cover with a carboy cap. One piece of the cap get s a racking cane insterted into it which goes down to the wort. The other piece of the cap gets a hose over it connected to a sealed and filled botteling bucket. You open the valve in the bucket and let the water drain out. the vacume will force air through the racking cane in the wort. Do you think this will cause good oxygen levels into the wort to give the yeast a good start?

Shake shake shake :ban:

Shake shake shake :ban:

Shake your caaaarboy. Shake your caaaaarboy. :ban:

Actually, that seems like it might work. Basically the same thing as an O2 stone, but without the pump. Still seems more complicated than just shaking the hell out of it, but if you can get it to work, more power to you. Let us know how it works, if/when you test it out.

I went the cheaters route and got the aeration system from Williams Brewing (the one that requires an O2 bottle. I'd be interested to hear how this works though.

Back