New kit and beer recipe on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Well I finally decided on my kit. It should be getting shipped on Tuesday so I think I will have it by the end of the week. I also bought the stout recipe from the same store. I am pretty excited. How do you all think I did on my decisions?

Not too bad at all. I've never heard of them until now. Are you getting that stuff shipped or are you picking it up?

Not too bad at all. I've never heard of them until now. Are you getting that stuff shipped or are you picking it up?

I am having it shipped. I figure it would cost me about the same in gas.

I have a question about the stout recipe in my first post. It comes with a liquid yeast. The guy at the store said that the liquid yeast he uses does not need a starter to work right. He said he uses a type that does not need a starter. Should I make one anyway. I won't have any extra malt extract except for what comes in the kit. If it really does not need a starter I don't want to make one. That is just one more thing for me to screw up on my first batch of beer.

The guy at the store said that the liquid yeast he uses does not need a starter to work right.
I think the accepted opinion of the experts is you'll always do better with a starter, however I lean toward the beginner school of -- as you said -- one less thing to screw up. I still classify myself as a beginner with only six or seven total batches; if it is the type of yeast package advertised by the manufacturer as being enough yeast cells to pitch for a five gallon batch, lately I've been pitching without a starter. So far with good results -- maybe not as good as it could be, but saves a step. I'll also say I've made starters in the past without any problems; it isn't rocket science. Like most things, take the preceding for what it's worth and do what you think works best for you. If you are going to make a starter, however, you will have need of an extra bit of malt extract.

Good luck with the first batch.

Rick

I wouldn't worry about a starter just yet. Just pull the yeast out of the fridge before you start brewing to let it get to room temp and make sure your wort is between 70-75 degrees when you pitch and you'll be fine. Your main concern right now is temperature control. Once you get that down then you can move on to things like starters.

You don't need to do a starter, but it will help reduce lag time and ensure that you're pitching a hefty amount of yeast. I'd agree that it's better to focus on temperature control and sanitation for your first batch and worry about starters later.

For your second batch, consider dry yeast. A bunch of us here (myself included) use it because a packet of the stuff contains a whole ton of yeast cells, and all you need to do to wake them up is rehydrate for about 15 minutes. It's also about 1/4 the cost of liquid, and there are some very good varieties available for clean tasting American or English beers. Don't take this as anything to worry about with the kit you just ordered, but simply as a way to make things a little easier and cheaper next time. Have fun.

Well the general consensus seems to be that I can probably do without the starter . I will take that advice and go ahead and brew my first batch without a starter. Maybe on my third batch or so I will make a starter but for now I just want to focus on the basics.
'
Thanks so much for the advice.

I got the kit and the ingredients today! I will be brewing my first beer this weekend. All I need for brew day is some ice for the wort chilling and maybe a turkey baster if I can find one. Then some corn sugar on bottling day. Should be fun.

I have a question. How do I take a hydrometer reading? I think I am looking at a test tube but it looks awfully big. I have a skinny piece of hard plastic with a black plastic tip that I do not know what could be for. Is this the reading tube?

Back