Wort Chiller sweating into my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
I have always wondered about this.. but never really found anything regarding it. I use a 25' X 3/8" copper IC to cool down my wort and i notice that the "ears" coming out seem to sweat on the outside from the steam/cold walter combination. I sanitize it by allowing it to rest in the wort the last 15-20 minutes of the boil so I know its sanitized but doesn anyone else have thoughts on this? i'm sure i cant be the only one who's questioned it?

It hasnt ruined anything yet.. and my cool down is anywhere from 10-17 minutes around this time of year with the ground water temps....

Totally fine. If it's condensed steam coming from boiled wort, there's not a whole lot that can live through that. If it bothers you, can you carefully bend the copper so the ears hang over the edge of the kettle?

Yeah didn't think so but it always made me think... The ears do come out the top of my brew pot and curve down slightly... But the ends that stick out just above my wort and bot over the sides do condensate.... When i brew in the middle of winter its worse.. When the water basically comes out the ground at almost freezing temps...

Back