Home roasted malts; Next time I will spend the $2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I dump this brew?

• Canned corn beer? Makes me wanna wretch~

• Keep it! Time heals all brews. Even those that taste like puke.

• I beg indifference.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bradinator

Reaction score
I don't know what went wrong on these home roasted malts but they really did not do my beer any favors. Canned corn and some sort of sour dough bread dominate the palette on this brew. Its been in bottles nearly four months now and I actually think the corn flavour is becoming more prominent.

It was my first time using home roasted malts. Considering I use the same process every time I brew and this is the only beer to get such overpowering off-flavours.

I have heard of others having good experience roasting their own specialty malts but this experience was enough to scare me into spending the extra few dollars on buying it next time around.

I have only poured a couple beers down the toilet... But those bottles could be better served holding good tasting beer.

Should I dump it? Should I try to ride it out?

I've home toasted a few times using both 2-row and MO and have enjoyed the results. I did a bunch at different temps/times following the Palmer chart. Let them age for a few weeks in paper bags and then did a side-by-side taste comparison before using them.

What kind of beer was it?

Regardless, I vote forget about the beer for a few more months and then try it again

It was supposed to be an Extra Special Bitter, now its an Extra Sucky Beer. Looking back at my notes I am wondering if placing the toasted grain into a air tight container may have led to the high levels of nasty off flavours to get created by them.

Funny thing is I had a bunch of the toasted malt left over so I blended it and made it into cookies that were great!

You sure that it's the malt, and not something else? "Canned corn" aroma practically screams "DMS," which can point towards an issue with your boil (and can also be a product of an infection). The "sourdough" aroma makes me think it could be a fermentation issue, as well - and if it's getting worse, that might indicate infection of some sort.

Exact same process and equipment I use for all my brewing, including several following brews and none of them had weird flavours whatsoever.

I can only think it was the home roasted malt, something I had never done or used before in a beer that could have given it such a funky off taste. I could smell the slight sourness on the toasted grain before and after using it which I feel gives more evidence to it being the culprit.

Looking back to my notes I did mash slightly higher (156-158F) and used Windsor Ale Yeast was on the verge of its best before date. I guess there is no saying it wasn't bad yeast...

Back