question on brew sculpture measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
What size do you guys make the surface for the keggle to set on? When you make the square from the metal, how big is the OD of the square? OR do you recommend covering it and just having a circle the size of your burner?

I made my frame 18" on the outside with 1 1/4 angle iron. The kegs fit just inside of the frame.

ForumRunner_20110715_100629.jpg

No reason to overbuild. A keg OD is about 16" so the distance between sides only needs to be about 15" if you allow for a 1/2" overhang. This sets up contact between the bottom keg roll and the stand at 8 points. This avoids needing to add additional support members.

No reason to overbuild. A keg OD is about 16" so the distance between sides only needs to be about 15" if you allow for a 1/2" overhang. This sets up contact between the bottom keg roll and the stand at 8 points. This avoids needing to add additional support members.
That is about where I decided to go.. made it a touch smaller and extended the uprights about 4 inches past the base to give a little more security.in the planning and cutting fitting stage right now. gonna make it three seperate stands that bolt together so I can just stick it up in the loft when I am not brewing.

Mine are 15"x15" also. I did add some diagonal braces inside, but they're more to give shape and attachment points to my wind screens than to support the kegs.

If I had to do it over, I would make the verticle distance from the burner to march pump a little longer. My pump, even with a metal heat/splash shield is closer tha I would like.

The system I'm designing now will be 18" inside. While I'm using kegs now, I want to make the stand big enough to add larger pots in the future. This will also allow a little more room between the keg and not melt my MLT insulation.

Back