El Dorado Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoxic

Reaction score
Hello,

I just tried Three Floyd's Cortez which uses El Dorado hops. Has anyone used these? Do you know where they can be purchased at retail?

Hello,

I just tried Three Floyd's Cortez which uses El Dorado hops. Has anyone used these? Do you know where they can be purchased at retail?

Is the beer good, bad? Interesting flavor description, what would you use it as, just aroma hop? What would be a good recipe to use it in?

I would love to try them, but I am not paying $4 for 2 oz's plus 8 bucks for shipping. Anyone in the reading area buying from austin anytime soon?

Wow, these are some fruity smelling hops. I think they would also be amazing in an IPA. The AA are certainly high enough to where I could make my american amber an IPA if I moved more hops to the bittering additions from the flavor/aroma additions.

Sure.

El Dorado American Amber Ale

11lb Maris Otter
2oz of crystal malt 10, 20, 40, 60, 90, and 120
4oz crystal malt 75
8oz Munich Malt
8oz Aromatic Malt
8oz Torrified Wheat

4oz El Dorado Hops

White Labs Australian Ale WLP009
Nottingham

.5oz FWH
1.5oz 15min
1oz 10min
1oz 5min

I made a 2L starter of WLP009, pitched it into the wort at 65°F and let it ferment for 24 hours, then pitched a packet of Nottingham to have a higher attenuation.

Sure.

El Dorado American Amber Ale

11lb Maris Otter
2oz of crystal malt 10, 20, 40, 60, 90, and 120
4oz crystal malt 75
8oz Munich Malt
8oz Aromatic Malt
8oz Torrified Wheat

4oz El Dorado Hops

White Labs Australian Ale WLP009
Nottingham

.5oz FWH
1.5oz 15min
1oz 10min
1oz 5min

I made a 2L starter of WLP009, pitched it into the wort at 65°F and let it ferment for 24 hours, then pitched a packet of Nottingham to have a higher attenuation.

Folks, if this is the recipe used to brew the beers that I just tried, it is WONDERFUL, OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

Coryforsenate came up with a great beer! I traded for two of them, and they were GREAT!!!

Just ordered a half pound myself. Going to make a base English IPA combining the fruitiness of the El Dorado with a small amount of Chinook ine 30/10/2 and dry hop additions.(.75 oz El Dorado with .25 oz Chinook to get a pine mixed with candied fruit flavor) it's going to be a Christmas IPA.

The entire time. :)

LOL! I understand what FWH are. So did you essentially hop burst this amber and only boil for 15 minutes total?

I hop bursted an amber last weekend with citra and galaxy. I thought I was being original.

I happened across 8 lbs of El Dorado pellets today...perks of working at a brewery...anyone else have any input (from experience) on flavor or aroma characteristics?

I realize this is an old thread, and you've probably already used those 8 lbs, but I just bottled/tasted my amber made with el dorado hops. I am amazed! There is this nice cherry flavor in the finish that really plays well with the special B malt I used. A friend of mine made a pale ale with these, and I got a more watermelon flavor from that. Guess it's a toss-up!

I just got El Dorado. Here's what I'm thinking and I'd love some feedback on this SmaSh:
5 Gallon batch

15 lbs Maris Otter
3 oz El Dorado Hops
WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast

Mash for 60 minutes at 152

Hop additions:
.5 oz 60 min.
.5 oz 20 min.
.5 oz flame out
1.5 oz dry hop for 5 days

I just got El Dorado. Here's what I'm thinking and I'd love some feedback on this SmaSh:
5 Gallon batch

15 lbs Maris Otter
3 oz El Dorado Hops
WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast

Mash for 60 minutes at 152

Hop additions:
.5 oz 60 min.
.5 oz 20 min.
.5 oz flame out
1.5 oz dry hop for 5 days
Hey-
Austin homebrew had el dorado on sale for like 1.25/oz, so I picked up a lb. getting ready to try a SMaSH IPA with 12lb tx 2 row pale.
So- what did you think of your el dorado? With all the posts I've seen, I worry that the aroma and flavor will underwhelm (that it just isn't as prominent or punchy as a standalone, without citra or mosaic to wake it up).
Hook a brother up with your tasting notes!
I was thinking:
1oz fwh
1oz 10
1oz fo
1oz whirl
3 oz dry hop (dry hop again in keg when 1/2way gone)

Micahmagne-TX

I made an El Dorado IPA last year and was shockingly underwhelmed. None of the big candy or watermelon flavors were sensed at all. Just a basic and kind of bland citrusy hop in my experience, that needed to be jacked up with some effing Columbus to turn it into a "real" IPA. I won't use it again, didn't live up to any of the hype at all whatsoever in my experience. I'm a Certified judge by the way, and so are several of my friends, and none of them picked up on the hyped flavors either, so it's not just me. I think it might be a terrior thing, or changes from season to season, or whatever. Beware of potential underwhelming results. Be sure to sniff the packages when opening, and jack up the hops if underwhelmed.

The hops were pretty underwhelming with only using 3 oz. We just did this again and doubled the hops to 6oz. Bottling on Sunday, so we'll see.

El Dorado is a great hop just cannot stand on its own. Its a staple in quiet a few beers that we have at the brewery I work at. The brewer loves them but also told me right off the bat that it is not a single hop at all, just kinda lacks that pop you want from it.

El Dorado is a great hop just cannot stand on its own. Its a staple in quiet a few beers that we have at the brewery I work at. The brewer loves them but also told me right off the bat that it is not a single hop at all, just kinda lacks that pop you want from it.

I'll second that. I just did a 4 oz single hop IPA with it and the sample I pulled before kegging had a nice big Watermellon flavor. Carbonated in 2 days using a carbination stone and now I mainly taste malt and yeast with a hint of watermellon flavor on the finish. If I didn't know better I would swear the beer had no hops in it at all. I didn't use finings or cold crash it so I am hoping that it's just the yeast masking the flavor and it will drop out after a couple more days in the keezer.

Bump.

Just saw this thread and thought I would post my experiences with El Dorado. It was one of the hops my club offered to experiment. One other member did a blonde with it that I thought was really, really good. I did a smash, so I could focus on the hop. I've had some crazy FGs from my previous beers and this one was no exception (1.005), but after two days, I'm liking it more an more.

Instead of dry-hopping in a carboy, I chose to dry hop in the keg (got a hop tube in the keg, 2.5 oz of El Dorado). It's only been two days, but wonder if the aromatics will improve over time. Does colder temps affect that (70F carboy vs 40F keg)?

Some of you all mention melon, pears, etc. To me, mine seems a bit more grapefruit, "orange juice-ish" (more orange, than grapefruit) kinda tasting to me.

My palate isn't exactly Papazian level either, so bear with me.

Reviving an old thread here. I used El Dorado hops in a batch of American hefeweizen. These hops are the real deal! I am bottling today and can smell the cherry watermelon coming through nicely. Not overpowering, but not underwhelming either. Here is the recipe (for 2.5 gallons). It was a test batch for me to basically see how the El Dorado hops played off of the Golden Naked Oats.

The combo is perfect.

8.0 oz Rice Hulls
2 lbs 4.0 oz White Wheat Malt
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row)
6.1 oz Oats, Golden Naked
2.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.15 oz El Dorado [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.15 oz El Dorado [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.0 pkg American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320)

Used a double decoction mash with rests at 122 and 152.

So far, I am digging these hops. I'll post more once bottles are carbed and the tasting begins

I brewed a El Dorado/Azaaca IPA this summer, and it was fantastic. Spicy pineapple flavors from the Azaaca, played really well with the watermelony El Dorado. Definitely a unique, fruity hop.

Back