BCS-460, is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That lusty feeling is coming back again. Go away, go away. When will this obsession end.

You know you want to do it...

I'm thinking of adding a second one dedicated to just control the temp in my shop (it has radiant floor heat), my keezer, and my ferm chamber.

I just got mine, and I am still in the process of setting up my "control box". I can't wait to get this bad boy going. My plan is to use it to control my 5500W element, my pump, and my ferm freezer. I'll have the wireless bridge going as well.

If you need to have the capability to heat and cool in the ferm chamber like I do, the cost of the BCS is only about $50 more than the Ranco 2-stage controllers I have seen, but does SO much more. I was already leaning on getting the BCS (you can start heating your water while you are still at work!), but when I found out you can also use it to heat and cool your ferm chamber, that sealed the deal for me.

BA

These are cool. I am considering on using them on something at work.

http://www.honeywell-sensor.com.cn/prodinfo/sensym_stainless_steel/datasheet/model19u.pdf

What's the cost of these sensors each?
Can they be hooked up directly to the BCS?

So far no one has mentioned the BCS unit has PWM output control off the main unit plus the expansion cards with only on / off control, no PWM with expansion cards.
I got my BCS in 2-09 it needs to be upgraded to PWM version which will be taken care of in the near future plus adding a couple expansion cards.
I have an old freebie computer for my future brewing only.

What's the cost of these sensors each?
Can they be hooked up directly to the BCS?

I got quoted $50 for 300. No idea how to get singles. I get a lot of this kind of stuff free after building prototype gadgets for my customers.

They have an analog output. I don't know if the BCS has any analog inputs (if it doesn't, it should!).

I got quoted $50 for 300. No idea how to get singles. I get a lot of this kind of stuff free after building prototype gadgets for my customers.

They have an analog output. I don't know if the BCS has any analog inputs (if it doesn't, it should!).

Other than the temp probes, the BCS is limited to digital inputs.

I have zero experience, but are pressure sensors kinda finicky?

Other than the temp probes, the BCS is limited to digital inputs.

I have zero experience, but are pressure sensors kinda finicky?

No. I use them all the time and they work great. I only use Honeywell sensors. I've designed several commercial medical devices with them inside and I think they are making people better:)

Ouch! A group buy here's needed to get a 300 order?
Any problem with using a ATD converter as well the cost of one?
Any feature to calibrate the sensor once installed? One unit is temperature compensated, would this be for the difference in the water expansion ratio as a self correcting unit using 4% as a water difference we're talking 8/10 of a gallon?

This looks like something that will really work out for me, as I build an automated system. A year and a half ago, I picked up a pallet of industrial computers from a salvage company. I sold a bunch of them and made my money back, but kept quite a few. Right now, I have one mounted on my three tier system running Beersmith and Multi timer. It is nice since they are waterproof and a touch screen.

Here is a pic of it:
*pic removed*

and the brochure on it:

http://www.citadelcomputer.com/pdf/vista-12xl.pdf

On the network thing, you have a few options. Wireless can be run in 'ad-hoc' mode, where they just communicate with each other. Another option, if they are a bit apart, is powerline ethernet. I use that in my house to link up from my downstairs, up to the office. I have had good luck with them.

Anyone actually used one of these things that can tell us the good, bad, and ugly of them?

Jim Olsen

Man, that thing is cool as hell!
If you want to let any more of them go, let me know.

Latest posts

Back