Ringwood attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I am planning a series of Ringwood beers over the next month or so, until I want a new yeast. I understand the need for a loosely fitting lid during fermentation to simulate open fermentation so the yeast remain happily at work. Those of you who have used this yeast in this way, how far are you getting this to attenuate? The Wyeast site says 68-72% but my beers always attenuate further than the advertised ranges for any yeast.

I harvested Ringwood recently and will be making a few upcoming batches with it, but didn't hear about the need to expose it to the outside. Wyeast doesn't mention it on their site. Would be interested to hear if/why it's recommended.

I use Ringwood a lot and have never run into problems with it stalling due to a closed fermentation environment (this includes 5 gallon batches in a 6.5g carboy). I usually get around 75% attenuation from this yeast. Also, I have had the best luck fermenting this yeast around 65-68F for a few days before bringing the temp up for a nice long D-rest. After 3 weeks in the primary the beer is crystal clear and very tasty, nice mild esters without the butter. I make a killer brown ale with ringwood, even won me some awards!

Just checked the stats of my India Brown (Dogfish Head Clone) and got 74.6% attenuation with the Ringwood in closed fermentation. Kept it in the primary for 4 weeks at 68 and like bierhaus got mild esters but no butter. I know DFH uses Ringwood in the IBA, 60 minute, and probably some others as well. Anyone know if they do open fermentation? I'm intrigued by the idea but the way I did it worked fine.

good to know. I think I'll adjust my recipe for 75% but keep the open fermentation method. I was kinda hoping for some diacetyl, nothing over-the-top like buttered popcorn but like you'd find in Sea Dog or Shipyard beers. I wonder if they don't do a full diacetyl rest or maybe they don't use the exact strain as 1187...

I'm planning on using Ringwood for a low ABV mild next weekend. I haven't used this strain for a while and I don't have any notes on attenuation. Can someone who's familiar with Ringwood advise what level of attenuation I can expect with a warm 156ish F mash? The WY site says 68-72, but these ranges are rarely accurate.

I'm planning on using Ringwood for a low ABV mild next weekend. I haven't used this strain for a while and I don't have any notes on attenuation. Can someone who's familiar with Ringwood advise what level of attenuation I can expect with a warm 156ish F mash? The WY site says 68-72, but these ranges are rarely accurate.

I'm using Ringwood Ale (1187) yeast now on a gruit. It's finished fermenting and my calculated attenuation is exactly 80%. Started at 1.055 and finished at 1.011. I did closed fermentation, but did open the fermenter once to add honey at high krausen. Taste is great! Very clean... no off flavors, apples, or butter/butterscotch. Fermented out within three or four days. I aerated it with 95% oxygen for a minute or so, and the yeast seemed plenty happy.

Based on this experience (my first with this yeast), I'd use it again. It works great for a dark ale. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

I'm using Ringwood Ale (1187) yeast now on a gruit. It's finished fermenting and my calculated attenuation is exactly 80%. Started at 1.055 and finished at 1.011. I did closed fermentation, but did open the fermenter once to add honey at high krausen. Taste is great! Very clean... no off flavors, apples, or butter/butterscotch. Fermented out within three or four days. I aerated it with 95% oxygen for a minute or so, and the yeast seemed plenty happy.

Based on this experience (my first with this yeast), I'd use it again. It works great for a dark ale. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks for the feedback. In my experience it's pretty clean too, and bit malty. I ended up with 70% attenuation on a 155F mash. Fermented quickly, but it's proving to be a bugger carbing them up.

Thanks for the feedback. In my experience it's pretty clean too, and bit malty. I ended up with 70% attenuation on a 155F mash. Fermented quickly, but it's proving to be a bugger carbing them up.

I've been concerned about the carbonation issue. I understand it flocculates well and yeast readily drop out. I usually rack to a secondary and fine with gelatin, but now I'm thinking using gelatin with this yeast may not be a good idea. So you had carbonation issues... Do you have any recommendations on how I might handle that?

I've been concerned about the carbonation issue. I understand it flocculates well and yeast readily drop out. I usually rack to a secondary and fine with gelatin, but now I'm thinking using gelatin with this yeast may not be a good idea. So you had carbonation issues... Do you have any recommendations on how I might handle that?

I'm still navigating the carbonation issue myself, but I would try pulling some yeast through at bottling time. I did that myself, but apparently not enough because there's just the tiniest skim of yeast on the bottom of each bottle. I popped one a few nights ago and it was carbonated, but another last night and it was still flat. Tonight I'm moving the entire batch to my carb closet that's about 75F right now. I'll also give each bottle a turn to try and rouse the yeast. It'll get there eventually. :mug:

Back