back sweetening after carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
can i still back sweeten after the cider is carbonated? Should I just dump some in and shake? or dump some in and shake it while under pressure in the keg?

One way to do this is to make up a simple syurp of sugar and water, cool it and add it to another clean/sanitized Keg along with a couple of crushed campden tabs. Give this a shake and Jump the cider over to the new keg. Age this for a week or so and dump the first pint. This way you have a well disolved sugar and have all the yeast killed so there is no worry of secondary ferment in the keg.

ive had the cider in the fridge for 5 days now "cold crashing" i forget but does crashing kill the yeast or just make them inactive?

Ive siphoned three times, 1st carboy to 2nd carboy, back to 1st then finally to keg...so im pretty sure most of the yeast fell and was removed from the equation.

Unless you pasturize, sulfite or sterile filter there is a good chance there will be some yeast still in there. They most likley won't cause an issue if you keep it cold and drink it fairly quick, but if you wanna bottle any I would take measures to kill those little buggers before I gave them any more food. As for just adding dry sugar I would just go buy a can of frozen apple concentrate and add that to taste. Its nice cause it is pasturized and made from apples not beets or cane.

Unless you pasturize, sulfite or sterile filter there is a good chance there will be some yeast still in there. They most likley won't cause an issue if you keep it cold and drink it fairly quick, but if you wanna bottle any I would take measures to kill those little buggers before I gave them any more food. As for just adding dry sugar I would just go buy a can of frozen apple concentrate and add that to taste. Its nice cause it is pasturized and made from apples not beets or cane.

Simple answer, if your kegging, and drinking from the tap there is no problem with just purging the pressure, opening up the keg, and throwing in the sweetener.
Personally I like to add a can of concentrate. (Tree Top for me).
Then you need to mix up the batch, purge the air, and shake the sucker. Even then the first couple pints might be pretty sweet.
Otherwise, I'm also one of those cheerleaders of caution when it comes to back sweetening, then bottling and storing in warm temperatures. I want to avoid bottle bombs as much as possible, but then again I am paranoid!

Yup if you keg and are'nt going to drink it now. Just wait till you are. I've had Apfelwein sit in the keezer unsweetened. Then before I take it to a bbq, I add 1 can of frozen concentrate thawed. I purge and pressure it back up and just roll the keg a bit to mix it up. Under pressure it shouldnt foam all that much. I've added cranberry concentrate and it makes it taste like a white zinfandel, the chics dig it.

Latest posts

Back