Flanders red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
why has NO one posted a recipe!!! I rely on you people! :mug:

Does the Flanders red likely use the same germs as the Berliner wiesser?

why has NO one posted a recipe!!! I rely on you people! :mug:

Does the Flanders red likely use the same germs as the Berliner wiesser?

Check Jamil's recipe in BCS - I'm awaiting the re-release of Roeselare (should be tomorrow!) before brewing mine.

Note quite. The Roeselare blend has sherry yeast, 2 Brettanomyces strains and Saccharomyces in addition to Lactobacillus.

Check Jamil's recipe in BCS - I'm awaiting the re-release of Roeselare (should be tomorrow!) before brewing mine.

Note quite. The Roeselare blend has sherry yeast, 2 Brettanomyces strains and Saccharomyces in addition to Lactobacillus.

Don't forget your friend pediococcus

so it would be a different style if you used the lacto?

have you figured out your recepie?

I need to wait a while... just curious to plan :D

I need to make my saison next.... and I dont even have a carboy available!

I passed that up since it was a PM... how would you convert that to all grain?

and the roselare (yeast) has the germs in it already? so you need nothing extra?

I passed that up since it was a PM... how would you convert that to all grain?

Adjust the base malt to get to your target OG.

and the roselare (yeast) has the germs in it already? so you need nothing extra?

Yes - it's a blend of Saccharomyces, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains, Pediococcus and Lactobacillus. A complete pitch.

Take heed in JZ's suggestion to mash hot to preserve some sugar for the bugs to eat. Most of our 60 gallons went in at a very low 1.012 gravity (WLP001) and it went down to 1.000 exactly after a year on the lambic blend. It doesn't have as much body as Rodenbach.

I did Jamil's recipe, olllllo helped me out with making sure my numbers would be on style. Had to boil off for 30 minutes before I started the 60 min boil.

That was like 3 months ago, thing were quiet in the carboy till lately. Getting pretty ugly in there. Looks like a bubbly loaf of bread is forming on the top. I'll take a pic of it tonight.

That was like 3 months ago, thing were quiet in the carboy till lately. Getting pretty ugly in there. Looks like a bubbly loaf of bread is forming on the top. I'll take a pic of it tonight.

Sounds about right. Did you pitch the neutral ale yeast first per Jamil's recipe or go straight for the culture. I've not decided which way I want to make mine.

Sounds about right. Did you pitch the neutral ale yeast first per Jamil's recipe or go straight for the culture. I've not decided which way I want to make mine.

I went straight for the culture. There's sacch in there and it will take off well before anything else will. But people do it both ways, and I've only done one, so I am no expert.

In the Gilda recipe sub the extract out for 6.5# 2-row (total) and a pound of corn and you got a great clone for Rodenbach. My batch is going to bottle (hopefully) soon.

I did not pitch the regular yeast before hand. olllllo mentioned he wanted his as sour as he could get it because he could always blend it to tone it down. 5 gallons of flanders takes a long time, so I wouldn't mind if I was able to get 7 gallons after blending.

Back