First time using Star San, how much for one gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
The mix rate for star san is one ouce for five gallons according to the label. But I hear people mixing one tablespoon per one gallon. So if my math is right, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons. So then one tablespoon would actually make 2.5 gallons. But if people are mixing at a higher concentration, would it still be "no-rinse"?

I just started using it. I decided i will ONLY be using it in spray form. Helps cut cost. If I need to soak something I'll use iodophor since i have plenty of that lying around.

I just use a 2 gallon bucket with a line marked at 1 1/4 gal. That way I can just use the 1/4 oz measurement on the bottle.

You can always re use Star San (until it looks cloudy) I save mine in gallon water jugs and it keeps on foaming

on the larger sized container, there are milliliter markings on the reverse. I use those for making 1 gallon (slightly over the 5 mL mark)

I keep hearing that the key to Starsan solutions that store well is using water that is low in solids. I guess distilled water would be ideal but a bit $$.

I tried sanitizing a small fermenter with Starsan and tap water recently and came up with a cloudy solution that was much too alkaline. I re-mixed with RO water and all was fine. It's possible that the soaking cleaner had left some alkaline residue in the keg.

The PH strips are cheap and a good thing to have around.

By my calcs you want .2 Ounce per Gallon or,

1.2 Teaspoons
5.9 Milliliter

That matches my math, also.

The OP may find that using a syringe to pull 6cc of starsan for a gallon is easy-peasey and may save money in the long run.

I have a 3 gallon bucket where I marked the 2.5 gallon line. I then use a tablespoon of Starsan. I try to keep it simple and a quart bottle will last over a year.

Thanks for everyones input. I just went to wal-mart's pharmacy yesterday and they gave me a 10ml syringe. That way I can make a gallon with 6ml, or a half gallon with 3 or even a quart with 1.5ml. My 32 oz bottle of star san should last till I turn grey.

Thanks for everyones input. I just went to wal-mart's pharmacy yesterday and they gave me a 10ml syringe. That way I can make a gallon with 6ml, or a half gallon with 3 or even a quart with 1.5ml. My 32 oz bottle of star san should last till I turn grey.

This is exactly what I do. 6mL to 1 gallon and that lasts me weeks to months if I take the care to keep crap out of it. I average one 8oz. bottle per year.

How to mix Star San in small amounts.
1 gal of water use 0.2 oz of star san which is equal to 5.91mL
1/2 gal of water use 0.1 oz of star san is equal to 2.95mL
1/4 gal of water use 0.05 oz of star san is equal to 1.47mL

I use ml since we have a lot of Medicine dropper in my house.

Latest posts

Back