the_Wife wants me to buy a bike (advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the_Wife informed me yesterday that she wants me to buy a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure she's just looking to cash in on the life insurance policy, but I might go with it.

Anyway, a good friend of hers destroyed her ankle, so she's selling one of her two bikes. That's what's triggering this; it's a starter bike she's selling, an old Suzuki, that's not too expensive (cheap enough to not cry too long when I inevitably dump it), and since she's a good friend we know that it's been taken care of and that it's mechanically sound.

Now, I haven't ridden since I was young (probably 12 or 13, and even then it was just small off-road backs). There's lots of twisty back roads in the mountains around here that I'd love to cruise around, so keep that in mind as well.

The other bit... it's an automatic. 1983 Suzuki Suzukimatic.

3na3k43m4ZZZZZZZZZ95fdfa9f6b68db619ba.jpg

The price would likely be a few dollars cheap (she's offered to make a good deal if it goes to a friend; not sure what that means).

Anyone know anything about this bike? Too small (I'm 6'2", about 185)? Solid? I know it wouldn't be a "forever" bike, it'd be something to learn how to ride for a couple of years, then to put back on Craigslist. I wasn't planning on buying one for another year until we get the house projects done, BUT... if this looks good, I might go ahead and grab it.

Any advice?

For a beginner, I like everything about that bike except the automatic transmission. It has everything I usually recommend: the right price, the right engine size, and the right "begging to be accidentally dropped on the pavement several times" look. However, if you have dreams of upgrading, you really need to learn to use a hand clutch.

Gimme that man card! :(

DUDE, there are millions of bikes out there. This is one that will not give you much riding pleasure, and you and it will be mocked long after you sell it.

Ever notice how there isn't much out there that doesn't have 5 or 6 gears? This was built to be chick bike, so she could go riding with him.

I would be very suspicious of expensive repairs to a low volume bike that is nearly 30 years old-think repair parts. I further suspect a very low price when you want to off it, if you can sell it.

There is a **** ton of reliable, medium size engine jap cruisers, that are easy and cheap to fix, but probably will never have to be. Decide on a few examples of a more recent high volume popular model, up around 650-750cc's, with low miles at a reasonable price, and pursue all avenues of finding them. Being a fish striking and at a cheap CL ad on a sparkly, very undesirable bike will not make you happy.

Don't do this to yourself. ;)

For a beginner, I like everything about that bike except the automatic transmission. It has everything I usually recommend: the right price, the right engine size, and the right "begging to be accidentally dropped on the pavement several times" look. However, if you have dreams of upgrading, you really need to learn to use a hand clutch.

That's kind of where I'm at. If it wasn't for the auto, I'd be all of this. And I know, there are eight million bikes of this vintage and price range out there. I won't even buy a car with an automatic tranny!

I also do worry that if the tranny goes, the bike's shot; there don't seem to be too many of these in circulation.

EDIT: I'm not "fish striking at a cheap CL ad"; my wife's friend has been talking about selling this for a while, this isn't what I would have gravitated towards had I been actively looking, she just happened to finally decide to get rid of it.

Definitely don't want your first experience with a street bike to be some crazy 80's Japanese foray into auto transmissions, LOL! Like Yuri said, it's the perfect size and power level for a beginner, but I would seriously look into getting one with a traditional drive train.

Also, you stated that your only experience was on small dirt bikes when you were a kid. Very similar to me. I rode as a kid, in the woods, and then in the mid 80's I joined the USAF. There was a lot that the base let people place their cars and bikes for sale. I saw this Kawasaki something or other and was taken by it. I asked if I could take it for a ride. I figured, I rode the heck out of those dirt bikes when I was a kid. How hard could it be?

Well, I learned very quickly, almost to my demise, that street bikes handle very differently than dirt bikes. When hammering into a corner on my dirt bike I would get on the brake and turn in the direction of the corner. If you do that when entering a corner on a street bike while at speed, you will go in the opposite direction and off the road!

It's kind of hard to explain, it's more of a feeling. When you are on the bike at speed and going straight, if you push forward with your left arm, essentially rotating the handle bars to the right (CW), the bike and you will lean to the left and go left. Once you get the feel of it, it's quite fun! The harder you push forward with your arm the harder and deeper you get into the corner. We used to play "Kill the Michelin man" when I finally graduated to a Suzuki GSXR-750. The Michelin man figure was stamped into the outside edge of the tire tread, and if you laid the bike over enough you could wear his head off, LOL! There is a turn around in Durham, NH on RT 16 that I could hammer through and cut his head off!

Sorry for the long winded response, but you got my memories flowing. One thing I would highly recommend, if you value your life, is to take a motorcycle rider's safety course. When I was in the Air Force, it was a requirement to drive on base, but they provided it. You will be glad that you did. It will give you confidence and help you stay upright.

Sorry for the long winded response, but you got my memories flowing. One thing I would highly recommend, if you value your life, is to take a motorcycle rider's safety course. When I was in the Air Force, it was a requirement to drive on base, but they provided it. You will be glad that you did. It will give you confidence and help you stay upright.

That's always been the deal; safety course and full safety equipment, no riding down the road in shorts and a t-shirt.

Thanks for the thoughts; probably just as well to hold off, the money's flowing out pretty quickly these days anyway.

I'll recommend that you take the MSF class first. They will provide you a bike so you can take the class. At the end you'll take the test that will get you your motorcycle endorsement for your DL. If you need one. Plus a discount on your insurance.

I'll third that you need a manual transmission if you are serious about it. Otherwise get a scooter.

My bike recommendations is a ninja 250 that you can get on craigslist for 1500 and sell it in 6 months for 2000. It will do 90+ on the freeway but won't get you in trouble as quick as in other bikes.

Also start shopping for gear before getting the bike. Don't make the mistake many do of spending all the money on the bike and them going cheap on the helmet and protective gear.

If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I'll glad to help.

Edit: Check out this link it has a lot of good info. Doesn't matter if you are a sportbike or cruiser guy.

http://www.georgiasportbike.com/showthread.php?t=1086

When I was in the Air Force, it was a requirement to drive on base, but they provided it. You will be glad that you did. It will give you confidence and help you stay upright.

I got my first street bike while in the Air Force as well, but they didn't provide the course at my base--it was still a requirement though.;)

Bird, I'm 6' 2" and my first bike was a Yamaha Seca II. It was a bit small, but my friends RF9 fit me well--it was just a monster and not something I wanted to start on. I think a cruiser would best suit taller folks, but that is of course only my opinion.

go big or go home. a hayabusa is a perfect beginners bike.

DISCLAIMER: contrary to the above post a Hayabusa is not a perfect beginners bike and unless you really do want your wife to collect the life insurance, don't get it.

Shaft drive bikes in that era were notorious for shaft effect. Accelerate the the rear end jumps up(no big deal), decelerate going into a corner and it feels like the bottom is dropping out and makes you think you are going to be kissing the road. Very unsettling. There is also the power loss. Both shaft drive and automatic trans require more power to operate then chain or belt drive and standard trans. Riding those curvy roads with SWMBO on the back of this underpowered beast would have taken the joy out of the ride. As a single person commuter bike it would suffice but I'm happy for you that you decided to skip this one.

Did you mention the price? If it is cheap enough to ride till something goes wrong WTF buy and ride. It will get you on the street and give you an idea if street bikes are something you will like. Riding on the street is a whole different thing than the dirt. It will still have some value when you are done with it on Ebay for parts if nothing else.

One thing I would be concerned about though is the tires. They could be old and "checked" but still have good tread.

Be safe.

Price is $1,600, but would drop ("friends and family" discount). That's not cheap enough to just do it; there's lots of good old Hondas of this size and approximate vintage in that price range. Not sure how far the price would drop; if she said "give me $1,000," I might say **** it and just buy it. Doubt it, though; REALLY would like a bike, and honestly - the fact that this is the_Wife's friend means that I don't have to "sell this" to her at all.

I agree you can find other more desirable bikes for 1500 or so. And they will still have value when you move up. This one I'm not so sure. But who am I, it's value is up to you. If SWMBO wants you to get this one it at least opens the door to the next one.

1600? I bought my KZ750 for $600 on craigslist. It is a 1980, but I love the older bikes. It worked wonderfully for me. It was in working order when I got it, I re-did the brakes though just in case.

***Disclaimer*** : This is a druck post!!!!!!

I am on my third motorcycle. My first bike was a '73 Honda 350, complete with the leg-burners. After my friend blew out the timing chain regulator, I bought an '80 Yamaha 400. Nice bike, ran great, but quite the pooch. Then, in 1984 I bought a '79 Yamaha 750 Triple. I have had that bike for 25 years. I was out riding on it all day today. GAWD, what fun! After 25 years of telling myself that I will buy myself a Harley someday, I have come to the realization that no Harley yet built will last as long as my rice-eater with as little maintenance, so I have been riding my Yamaha with a pride little seen around these parts (I live 60 miles from Milwaukee, Harley headquarters).

Oh, BTW my bike is shaft drive, and the claim of power loss and "shaft effect" is just ridiculous IMHO. I have never felt any "shaft effect" and the Yamaha Triple was the fastest production bike of its day, so there goes any talk of power loss.

My point? I don't know if I have one. All I can say is have fun with your ride, but DON'T buy an automatic, it is indeed a "chick bike".

Ok. 6'2 on that bike and you will feel cramped. I felt the same way about my old 82 Suzuki GS850GL. My legs were underneath me while I rode and I just could not push myself back farther into that seat to make it comfortable. FYI - I'm the same height.

The shaft drive really is low maintenance. Just make sure it's lubed properly and the rear differential has the right amount of oil at the beginning of the season and you're ready to go. Just make sure you don't see any leaks and it'll be fine.

Now for the price. Seems a little steep for me. I think you can find a better deal for that kind of coin. I think the only way you could realistically ask that much is if its in near collector condition. There are sh*tloads of Honda Magna's out there for that price that are rediculously reliable and low maintenance. Plus, it will have the traditional clutch that you would like better. And it's easy to ride and learn on.

And like other comments, safety first. Spend the extra money on a good quality jacket and properly fitting helmet. It will always be worth it. And like a cop once told me - there are two types of cyclists, those who have laid their bike down and those who will. You just have to assume that its inevitable so be prepared. It only hurts for a couple days....

Maybe your wife is pushing this bike because she realy wants it for herself?If you can get it cheap enough buy it ride it for a few tell your friends you bought it for the wife then go buy your self one then you can ride together.That would be a great bike to teach the wife to ride if the price was right.

+1 million to this guy and Yuri!!!! The MSF class will not teach you to go 200mph on a track but it will teach you everything you have forgotten if you hadnt ridden in a long time or techniques that will save your life in a hairy situation.
I'll recommend that you take the MSF class first. They will provide you a bike so you can take the class. At the end you'll take the test that will get you your motorcycle endorsement for your DL. If you need one. Plus a discount on your insurance.

I'll third that you need a manual transmission if you are serious about it. Otherwise get a scooter.

My bike recommendations is a ninja 250 that you can get on craigslist for 1500 and sell it in 6 months for 2000. It will do 90+ on the freeway but won't get you in trouble as quick as in other bikes.

Also start shopping for gear before getting the bike. Don't make the mistake many do of spending all the money on the bike and them going cheap on the helmet and protective gear.

If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I'll glad to help.

Edit: Check out this link it has a lot of good info. Doesn't matter if you are a sportbike or cruiser guy.

the official "first bike" thread - Georgia Sportbike Forums

***Disclaimer*** : This is a druck post!!!!!!

Oh, BTW my bike is shaft drive, and the claim of power loss and "shaft effect" is just ridiculous IMHO. I have never felt any "shaft effect" and the Yamaha Triple was the fastest production bike of its day, so there goes any talk of power loss.

My point? I don't know if I have one. All I can say is have fun with your ride, but DON'T buy an automatic, it is indeed a "chick bike".

Knowing this was a drunk post, there will be no flaming. I too have owned the Yamaha 750 triple. I do want to correct a couple points. Shaft effect is so real that manufacturers have taken steps to reduce this considerably over the years. BMW is the forerunner in shaft effect technology, but even their bikes show it during take off and hard upshifts. You can see it in action from behind a bike with shaft drive on every shift, the rear end jumps up. Shaft take more power to operate, period. Power is measured at 2 places on a motorcycle. The crank, which is where the factory gets its sales data, and the rear wheel. Factory tests have shown a 3% decrease in power for every 90* powerflow direction change. A shaft bike has 2- 90* direction changes, giving you a reduced power to the rear wheel of 6% plus any loss in the transmission. The triple negates a good amount of this by running 3 cylinders instead of four which both reduces weight, and centers the weight for better handling. Yes the 79 Yamaha 750 triple(8.8lbs/HP) was a very fast bike, but the Kawasaki H2 triple(5.7lb/hp) was by far faster. It earned the nicknames, widowmaker and death wish 3.
I have ridden ricers and english iron since 1980 and recently got out of racing them as the old bones don't heal like they used too.:) I was also a factory trained tech working in Kawasaki and Yamaha dealerships for 8 years.

On my second bike. Have averaged 10K miles per year on my bikes.

First bike was an 81 suzuki GS550L. Paid $550 for her, got around 24K miles out of her.
Had plenty of room for my 6'3, 270# frame. Bike was a piece of crap though...

Current bike is an 85 kawasaki vulcan 700 which I paid $1000 for. Controls are where I would have relocated the controls on the suzuki, shaft drive (if you ride in the rain you'll soon hate chains), plenty of power, great community supporting the bike (vulcan 700 was followed by the 750, which was made up to 2006). I have about 24K miles on the vulcan (speedometer broke...).

Definitely pass on the automatic bike. Seems like the trannys had problems - if it was a $400 bike it'd be an ok deal...

At least you're on the right track and not looking to buy a brand new hardley as your first bike...

I just completed my MSF beginners course to get my endorsement last weekend. Highly recommend it if you haven't ridden for a while or only rode dirt bikes when you were a kid. Definitely second the idea on staying away from an automatic transmission.
Currently I've been leaning on getting a kawasaki ninja 250r for the interim as my commuter and then hopefully put some cash away in the next year to get a HD dyna street bob later on.

Don't do it, an automatic trans is not something you want. Also I second taking the MSF class. Personally there is nothing wrong with starting with an older Jap bike I still have my 82 honda 400 but realize that if you like it you'll be upgrading quickly.

I just completed my MSF beginners course to get my endorsement last weekend. Highly recommend it if you haven't ridden for a while or only rode dirt bikes when you were a kid. Definitely second the idea on staying away from an automatic transmission.
Currently I've been leaning on getting a kawasaki ninja 250r for the interim as my commuter and then hopefully put some cash away in the next year to get a HD dyna street bob later on.

Under 4,000 for a brand new kawi 250, can't go wrong for a starter bike for a year or so.

How about this for my first bike (in about 10 years). Actually I had a V65 Honda many years ago.

I'm buying hlaf of this from my brother. 1999 Heritage Softail

which hlaf?

The autos that survived are good bikes I have a 1981 Hondamatic 450 the smaller bikes lasted because the trans could not handle the HP of the 750's. I found this bike in 1997 when I went to look at 56 tbird it was under a pile of old blankets and had 47 miles on it . Fun bike to ride even for my 5'10' slightly roundish frame. These are now collectors items mine has 1800 miles on it now.

But for the kind of money we are talking you can pick something up that would suit your body much better something like this for less money750 and you wont outgrow it all that fast.

Do take the MSF I take the advanced course every 3 years good discount on Ins and it corrects bad habits that you fall into.

Now that I'm looking, I've seen a fair number of old Hondas that I'd take long before the automatic. '84 Shadow for $1,750, there's a 2001 Rebel here in town for $1,500 (probably too small for me), '86 Kawasaki ZL600 for $1,750, could even get started with a small Yamaha SR250 for $850.

There were a few others around, but I can't find them right now...

In any case, I'm in no rush. I'm curious to see what Glib finds out with his old man's bike. Definately taking the course, there's a place that does the course about an hour from here, I may talk to the_Wife tonight about signing up in early summer.

Really, I'm just looking for a bike in the 400cc-600cc range, a cruiser (not a sport-bike guy, although some of those Buell Blasts are pretty cool looking and supposedly a great starter bike). Not afraid of buying an old Japanese bike with twenty or thirty years under it, I'm not sure that those old Hondas CAN be killed. Gotta love a bike where there are so many that have survived 25 years of use.

I just don't want something that needs a lot of work to get going, I just don't know much about fixing bikes. Suppose I'll have to re-read this:

zen_motorcycle.jpg

Another bonus to MSF I forgot about is the insurance break. And I met one of my first and best riding buddies at that class. Just make sure to be safe and above all else enjoy!

In MA, if you take the course you don't have to take the road test to get your license. I have to find more out about this; I know there's a written test to get your permit, but I *think* it's just that and the safety course for the license. The only ***** is that the closest course location is more than an hour away, and the course is spread over two days.

In MA, if you take the course you don't have to take the road test to get your license. I have to find more out about this; I know there's a written test to get your permit, but I *think* it's just that and the safety course for the license. The only ***** is that the closest course location is more than an hour away, and the course is spread over two days.

In the MSF class you take a written test and the road test so all you have to do is show up to the DMV with the paper and they give you the motorcycle license (in NY). I drove about 45min to get to mine as well and I wouldnt worry it is one weekend or two days that will let you enjoy many more on 2 wheels.

That is completely correct. You take a test at the end of 2 days, but before hand you must take the permit test before hand (20 questions)

For a first bike after many years, I'd recommend any 80-90's "standard". Cheap, still relatively new and maintenance free depending on milage, and won't break your heart if you drop it a couple times. My choices:

1987 Nighthawk 700s - about $1500
3n33m93p3ZZZZZZZZZ95i3649ad169e691479.jpg

2003 Nighthawk 750 - about $3750
3pa3o43l9ZZZZZZZZZ95g24fbdf7c208a1362.jpg

2000 Suzuki SV650 - $3500
3n33k03o6ZZZZZZZZZ95df3a01fbb56321eec.jpg

Of course, if it were me...I'd buy the almost brand new Honda 919!
2006-Honda-919a.jpg

About the 1983 Suzukimatic (Suzuki GS 450GA). If you got it for $900 or less, wanted it for around town solo riding, won't be too upset when it goes to pot and is just gone or have the means to keep it repaired and were into the neat-o factor of an old automatic bike, it'd be a cool bike to have for a collector or enthusiast. If I had $900 to spend on that, I'd buy it for those reasons. For $600, I'd probably do it.

Since it doesn't sound like either of you are interested in the neat-o collector enthusiast factor and may want a 2 up bike, pass on this one. Or get it for $900 or less for your wife. That leaves more money for you to get something nice and when the auto gives up the ghost, 2 up with your wife on your bike till you get another and pass your old one to her.

As for cruisers, I have one. An '05 Suzuki Boulevard C50. It's 805cc, shaft drive, 5 speed manual, liquid cooled and about $8,000 for an '09. '05s go for $6,800 and lower. Mileage and condition considered, as with any used vehicle. The C50 and it's older cousin, the Suzuki Intruder 800 Volusia, have a huge following. Spare and after market parts abound. People love to modify them. I've put around 7,000 miles on mine in 11 months and I love it. It's mechanically stock with very few body mods; Suzuki padded sissy bar, Sportech windshield and bullet rear signals. we just started 2 up on it and it does the job. People 2 up on these all the time.

In general, if you want a cruiser for any thing more than around town, back roads and the occasional cross town highway rides or any 2 up at all, get at least a Honda VLX (often called a 600 but I thinks it's really 583cc) or bigger. 250s will do 60+mph, but not for a daily driver and no 2 up unless you're both squirrel size. Daily highway use will kill a 250 cruiser, quick. Slow road use, no problem, a long term bike. 250s are the most common MSF course bike. 500s are better, mostly found on the small end of sport bikes or standards, but for a few dollars more, you can go bigger and better. For 2 up, go bigger, it's better. A 750cc would do. It looks like the 750 is fast becoming the smallest highway cruiser.

Suzuki still makes some 650cc standards and a cruiser. I was on the verge of buying an S40 when I found the C50. My wife is looking hard at an S40 if she decides she wants to drive a bike. She says the C50 is too wide and heavy. It's not, but you know opinions. The S40 and earlier Savage have cult like followings.

One last thing. You may hear it said that noobs should buy 250s or nothing bigger than 650s, tops, and only if they aced the course. Balderdash! I went from The Course on a 250, my first time driving a bike, to an 805. I know two women who went form The Course to a 750 and an 883 Sportster. Be careful. Be adult. Be just fine.

PS. My shaft drive did shift with a feeling the 250 chain drives didn't have. Learning to ride my bike has fixed that. It's one of those subtle nuances.

I think that might be too small for your height and an automatic on a motorcycle is a bad idea. I started on a Kawasaki GPZ550 a friend was selling and it was a tad too tall for me. My personal preference is to have 1-2" of seat clearance when I'm standing with both feet on the ground. The guy I bought my Shadow from was 6'2" and he had to sit too far back on the seat. At 5'11", it's a great fit for me.

Sounds like your wife wants you to do her friend a favor, but I wouldn't.

Sounds like your wife wants you to do her friend a favor, but I wouldn't.

There's that element of it, which helps my cause!

I've already decided against the auto. I'm going to sign up for the safety course next month, to get my feet wet. There's enough bikes I'm seeing listed everyday that fit my basic criteria that I'm not in any rush. 400-500cc cruiser is what I'm thinking. All things being equal, I'd like to buy from someone that I know, so I'm interested to hear what Glib reports back from his old man.

I'll also bring my brother along with me when I check anything out, he's more mechancially inclined than I am and he's been riding for a while. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to, if I can be honest. I'd be a blast to go riding with him, he doesn't live that far away where we couldn't do that pretty regularly.

Back