Airlock Change-O-Rama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

I just wanted to share this story for others that may think its funny or who have done this.

Made a DFH Punkin' Ale clone last Sunday, used 6 gal better bottle and filled it about to 5.75gal or so (a bit to much, but some headroom)

Started fermenting like a champ in about 6 hours. (WLP 001 w/starter of course)

It blew out the top of the airlock, I sanitized another airlock and switched it out, waited about 8 hours after I came home from work and airlock #2 is blown out fermenting beer almost gushing out the top of the airlock, SO I switch it out with the 1st now clean and sanitized airlock etc.

Anyway I had to switch the airlocks out 5 more times in the last three days !!! OMG !!

I took a sample of the wort today and tasted it (after 7 airlock changes & cleanup each time) and luckily no off tastes or signs of infection.

Moral of the story--- USE A BLOW-OFF tube or don't fill the fermentor that full !! :)

I just wanted to share to point out that if your sanitation is diligent, even if you have to clean up a blowout or change your airlock out 7 TIMES, you can still avoid any issues that will hurt your beer. :rockin:

Merry Christmas & Happy Homebrew New Year !!!

Cheers ! :mug:

-EROK

yeah I pretty never put an airlock on to start a fermentation anymore. All my carboy's get the blow-off tube for at least 3 days.

yeah I pretty never put an airlock on to start a fermentation anymore. All my carboy's get the blow-off tube for at least 3 days.

+1

And I don't worry much about having a lot of headspace with a blowoff tube. If you use a 1" vinyl tube there is very little restriction to the "blow off" effort.

Larger fermenters for me, why let all that yeast go out the tube. Haven't had a blow off in years.

Airlock shmairlock. Unless you've got critters lurking about, foil is all that is needed (unless you have a blow-out of course). Some yeast strains will even thank you for lack of pressure!

Airlock shmairlock. Unless you've got critters lurking about, foil is all that is needed (unless you have a blow-out of course). Some yeast strains will even thank you for lack of pressure!

I'm sure you are right !

I ferment in buckets for the most part and leave the lid cracked for 24 hours. The only mess I have had was an over active hefeweizen after I overfilled the bucket.

Latest posts

Back