2 Liter PET bottle Carbonation: Anyone Tried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderPanda

Reaction score
I had an idea today to make sweet, carbonated cider. I have used pappers stove-top pasteurization method many times now, and it has lots of drawbacks. Most notably, it takes a really freaking long time and is a lot of work (for just the carbonation.)

So my idea is this: bottle into 2 liter soda bottles, the plastic PET kind. Wait however long it takes to get the carbonation you desire. You can check as often as you want because all you have to do is unscrew the cap. Once it is done, you can do one of two things to stop the fermentation:

A: Drop in some preservatives. Campden Tabs/sulfite and potassium sorbate should do the trick. Then bottle in glass bottles like normal. Or, if you don't like sorbates,
B: Pour the bottles into a giant pan, heat to 190 degrees, bottle. You will probably lose more carbonation this way though, so you would definitely want to over-carbonate it in the PET bottles.

Anyway, this seems to me like it would actually be a lot easier than the stove top pasteurization method, plus there is really no risk of bottle bombs since PET bottles can supposedly take way upwards of 100 PSI of pressure. And even if they did explode, they won't be hot, and there won't be glass. And the stove can be avoided entirely.

Has anyone ever tried this? Do you think it would work?

No need to re-invent the wheel. I have and use E-Z-Caps to make hard cider and beer and have been well pleased with the results.

EZ Caps

The site is simple and shipment is fast.

Latest posts

Back