My Pilsner Didn't "Go", Now It's a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I brewed a malty pilsner this weekend and drew off some of the wort for a starter for my Czech Pilsner Wyeast. The starter was set at 52 degrees as the wort sat in the freezer waiting patiently to have the yeast multiply and then be added.

After 48 hours there was no action with the pilsner yeast despite repeated stirrings and shakings. I dumped the pils yeast and wort into the carboy for 12 hours. Still no action. I am now on to phase two where I have added some Boehemian Lager yeast to a starter from the same wort and am readying it to be dumped into the carboy with the Pils wort and yeast. The lager yeast was recaptured from a batch brewed in March of this year. We'll see how that goes.

At this point I think autolysis is my biggest danger. More a venting than any questions, I have not had a starter "fail" in the past although I have seen others here complain about this particular strain.

Really? I thought Pilsner was considered its own style unique from lagers. Makes sense as I just learned that the yeast I pitched the second time is good for a Pils or a Helles.

Pilsner is also a type of malt. If you pitch Saflager W-34/70, but use a 100% pilsner grain bill and saaz hops, you'll still pretty much have a pilsner.

So do you all think lagers and pilsners are the same thing? Do you use those terms interchangeably when ordering at a bar?

So do you all think lagers and pilsners are the same thing? Do you use those terms interchangeably when ordering at a bar?

No. You are missing the point.

Lager describes a yeast and a technique.

Pilsner describes a style and a type of malt.

I would ask "what lagers do you have?" then say "thanks, i'll have the pilsner.

UNLESS it was a joint that had but two taps. One for Ale and one for lager. Then I'd say "Pint a lager please" and drink whatever they poured into the glass.

maltoftheearth said:

No. A pilsner is a lager. A specific type of lager. There are many other types of lagers as well.

I have to agree. They are both "lagered",but pilsner uses a very light colored malt. Although with BCB's,it's kinda hard to tell the difference.:drunk:

Back