Getting ready to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
i have my witty monk from mr beer about done i was wondering if anyone could get me a link or the recipe for adding sugar to the bottles i cant find it on the web site.

thx much DFM

it's a good rule of thumb to use 1 oz sugar for each gallon of beer. 2g mr beer gets 2 oz sugar. boil up the sugar in a cup of water, let it cool a little, dump it in the mr beer, put the lid back on the mr beer and swish it around a little, then bottle it

that's why you swish it around some; to mix it. all of us have done it for years, whether swishing around the 5 gallon fermenter or the mr beer

nice guys thx much lol one more question then im done . how long do i let the beer carbonate for before drinking 1 week?

I do 2.. The beer bottles were hard as rocks a few days before i threw them in the fridge after 2 weeks.

When I was doing Mr. Beer, I added my sugar directly to the bottles - swishing in Mr. Beer makes for a lot of sediment in the bottles.

Just my 2¢

When I was doing Mr. Beer, I added my sugar directly to the bottles - swishing in Mr. Beer makes for a lot of sediment in the bottles.

Just my 2¢

Trade-off... Adding sugar to individual bottles can make for uneven carbonation. :(

Pick yer poison!

Well i bottled today i got 22 bottles out of my mr beer and i was very happy with the smell that came out of my container aka witty monk . i am already on the web site looking for my next batch, any recommendations? thx guys

ps i melted 2 oz of sugar into 3/4 cup of water poured it in and swished it around in the mr beer then i bottled and marked the first one i bottled and kept them in order to the last one number 22 i am going to keep up with the pop's on the bottle to determine if i believe there was even amount of carbonation.

Well i bottled today i got 22 bottles out of my mr beer and i was very happy with the smell that came out of my container aka witty monk . i am already on the web site looking for my next batch, any recommendations? thx guys

ps i melted 2 oz of sugar into 3/4 cup of water poured it in and swished it around in the mr beer then i bottled and marked the first one i bottled and kept them in order to the last one number 22 i am going to keep up with the pop's on the bottle to determine if i believe there was even amount of carbonation.

Good idea (the numbering)!

As for suggested kits, I can't really suggest any of them. Yes, they are easy, but they are also slightly more expensive. That being said, some people have said they liked the pale ales with the booster pack, and maybe a small amount of your own aroma hops added.

With the carbonating sugar, it's a nice trick to go ahead and boil the water you dissolve the sugar in for two reasons: 1) to kill any bacteria or fungi spores in the sugar and 2) to get rid of the small amount of oxygen in that small amount of water. Oxygen can make your beer taste stale sooner, so the less oxygen the better AFAIC. :)

Grats on 22 bottles of your very own brew!! :ban:

hmm well now i have another question , my father in law was saying i was suppose to have a special kinda sugar but i used regular sugar is this ok?

Some people feel that cane sugar makes the beer taste sour. I'm not sure that's the case, but that's where the criticism originates. Many people prefer to carb with corn sugar, or ideally, DME. Of course all types of sugar have different amounts of available energy to the yeast, so if you use a more digestible sugar (like cane sugar) then you use less.

There are many threads on carbing, so search and read to your heart's content if you like, but your beer will be fine with cane-sugar carbing. :)

hmm well now i have another question , my father in law was saying i was suppose to have a special kinda sugar but i used regular sugar is this ok?

what he might have been referring to is that cane sugar has fewer fermentables, and leaves a twang in the beer. at the quantity used to carb beer, that ain't gonna happen. if you make a beer recipe that calls for 2 lbs sugar, or some such, then you need corn sugar, or it'll taste more like cider. carbing beer: corn sugar is more efficient, but not necessary at all. you can get corn sugar at your lhbs. usually costs about $1.25 a lb or so, and needing a few teaspoons at a time, it lasts forever.

Back