Pliny the Younger release and SF Beer Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Just cruised to Russian River for the release of Pliny the Younger and happened by Vinnie and Mike McDole. Not much more, just saying they were both there. Happy Pliny day and happy beginning of SF Beer Week!

The line was 45 minutes in the back and 1.5hours in the front. I somehow made it is in about 20mins and had a beer poured by a patron out of his growler. They are out of growlers so bring your own. The beer is good though, but watch out at 11%, it adds up! :mug:

I can't wait to track down some of this stuff! Did you tell Mike to "Suck it tasty"?

Negative there good buddy. I told him Happy Pliney day. Then I walked outside and drank my beer. For those BN fans, I think Jason was there too. Not sure though as I have never met the guy so it is purely speculation.

You better hurry. They ran out of growlers man. I mean, they must have anticipated this being big and ordered a ton of them and they are all gone. Let's just say that they are only going to last about two or three days, so good luck.

Negative there good buddy. I told him Happy Pliney day. Then I walked outside and drank my beer. For those BN fans, I think Jason was there too. Not sure though as I have never met the guy so it is purely speculation.

You better hurry. They ran out of growlers man. I mean, they must have anticipated this being big and ordered a ton of them and they are all gone. Let's just say that they are only going to last about two or three days, so good luck.

Is it only available at the pub? No bottle distribution?

I have a buddy who went and bought 4 growlers, 1 with my name on it. I pick it up tomoroow. He spent 2 1/2 hours in line and they sold out at 4 P.M. Oh Yeeeaah!

The Blue Palms in LA says they should be getting a keg sometime in the near future.

Already having nasty flashbacks to my time in Oregon and the phone trees set up to announce the first tapping of Pliny the Elder... kegs would sell out so fast you literally had to be there when they tapped it.

Tuesday Toronado is having a Russian River tasting and the Younger will be poured. Apparently, Toronado is about the only place left in the world to try Younger it seems.

I went to the Double IPA festival yesterday and it was pouring there. Good times at that event! I had all 50 beers. There were some good ones and some really bad ones too!

I just called fathers office and the guy said they were most likely getting a keg and that he would know for sure today. I also called the daily pint, however no one is there yet to answer the phone.

Here's an update, bare with me because I have a bad headache and am suffering from one of the worst hangovers I've ever had. I drank my first beer yesterday at about 5 P.M., a SN Glissade. Quickly transitioned to a Racer 5 followed by the opening of the Pliny Growler. Flavor and aroma was intense. Its like a Pliny the Elder on roids. I was pouring my 3rd glass of it when it all of a sudden hit me. I was done, dizzy, giggly, you name it. The wife tried to ask me something serious, all I could do was laugh. Then it went to her thinking I've cheated on her in the past. WTF? My constant laughing only fueled her fire and I ended up sleeping on the couch. I got about 10 hours of sleep and woke up still feeling drunk. Vinnie should call this beer The Homwrecker. That beer kicked my ass in more ways than one.

Here's an update, bare with me because I have a bad headache and am suffering from one of the worst hangovers I've ever had. I drank my first beer yesterday at about 5 P.M., a SN Glissade. Quickly transitioned to a Racer 5 followed by the opening of the Pliny Growler. Flavor and aroma was intense. Its like a Pliny the Elder on roids. I was pouring my 3rd glass of it when it all of a sudden hit me. I was done, dizzy, giggly, you name it. The wife tried to ask me something serious, all I could do was laugh. Then it went to her thinking I've cheated on her in the past. WTF? My constant laughing only fueled her fire and I ended up sleeping on the couch. I got about 10 hours of sleep and woke up still feeling drunk. Vinnie should call this beer The Homwrecker. That beer kicked my ass in more ways than one.

bummer about hangin
nice on the beer selection
bummer on the wife cheating thing
bummer sleeping on the couch
nice on the 10 hours of sleep
not sure about the waking up still drunk... that one's a toss up!! :drunk:

everything straight with the other half?

My neighbor brought over some Pliny the Younger last night in a growler. He waited 3+ hours to get it. It was awesome. He has another growler left. I think I need to invite him over again tonight :)

The first keg of younger to be announced in SD is on the 14th at Blind Lady. Hamilton's, Small Bar, DTJBs, O'Briens, and Toronado will likely all get some, too.

This can't be that good. I mean it is just beer right? Theres no cocaine in it or anything?

P.S. Mostly I'm just sad and bitter because I can't have any.

bummer about hangin
nice on the beer selection
bummer on the wife cheating thing
bummer sleeping on the couch
nice on the 10 hours of sleep
not sure about the waking up still drunk... that one's a toss up!! :drunk:

everything straight with the other half?

Yeah we're good. Thanks for asking. This whole day is gone. I felt like **** all day and the stomach is still queezy. I dont even remember eating let alone making dinner last night.

The beer is good. That is all. As I mentioned, I saw Vinnie and congratulated him on a beer well made. I knew it wouldn't last, but I didn't think it would go so fast. If you can get to a bar you should get some.

And if anyone is going to any festivals nearby you better say hello to me too! ;)

Vinnie put up a blog post today, rather lengthy.

I'll have to get out to Santa Rosa for PTY day some year, as it is one of my favorite places to visit anyway. For now I will have to settle for the growler of PTY that is showing up via UPS tomorrow.

Back