My MLT build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMonti

Reaction score
Well, the Flash boiler I am building isn't the only componet I need for my new brew rig. I am going to build all new stuff for it.

So, here is the begining of my new MLT. Yes folks, I got all my kegs that I have ever used the right way. I am not a thief. This one looks rough right now due to some paint all over it. That will change soon. I liked the way I cut my old one out but didn't like the fact that I didn't have a lid. After some thought on how I wanted to do this I am now started. Though I am not done planning.

Here is the keg before I got started today.
P1010051.jpg

I cut it along one of the raised portions to take advantage of the factories work, at flaring the keg. I marked it all along the circumfrence for a guide. I marked it twice so I could cut out a section cause I didn't want it to be full height.
P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Here is how I went about marking the keg. Kinda a home made height guage.
P1010055.jpg

I went with my grinder and a cut off wheel. I thought all about how I could cut it with a jig and or my plasma and a jig, Blaaah. Too much work. So I took my time getting around it cutting on one side of the line so I could watch the wheel.

Here it is all apart.
P1010058.jpg

Here is where my lid will come from.
P1010059.jpg

A shot of the fit. I still need to clean up the burrs from the cutting wheel
P1010060.jpg

Here it is now. I cleaned off the burrs and had some rubber edging on hand so I used it for a seal. The beauty of this is any condensation will run right back down the inside even without the rubber.
P1010061.jpg

Now I have to get that paint off of there. I am not going to be too picky cause I plan on insulating it. I might polish the top piece though. Anyone have some ideas on insulation material? Thanks for looking.

This is very interesting, I've never seen a keg converted in this way.

I suppose Great Stuff spray foam would do a fairly good job as an insulator. You could build a cylindrical jacket out of stainless sheet or aluminum, orient it around the keg properly, and fill it with the spray foam. I assume you aren't applying any kind of heat directly to the MLT.

This is very interesting, I've never seen a keg converted in this way.

I suppose Great Stuff spray foam would do a fairly good job as an insulator. You could build a cylindrical jacket out of stainless sheet or aluminum, orient it around the keg properly, and fill it with the spray foam. I assume you aren't applying any kind of heat directly to the MLT.

Hey Reese,

I was actually just gonna ask if any one has done a conversion this way before? Then I saw your post. It is hard to come up with new stuff. If anyone knows please share.

I did it like this to have a solid lid so I could do a stiring device of some kind. I have some ideas but nothing in stone.

No, direct heat will not be happening. I am building a Flash boiler. This will be steam injected and the system will not have a HLT. Just 2 vessles and the FB.

I like the idea of the spray foam. I could do all the work then built the jacket and fill it up. I was thinking of using Nomex. I might be able to get my hands on some scrap at work, but I am not going to bet on that. This place is pretty tight, even with waste materials.

While this is probly common knowledge to most of you, I just figured it out. I think I have found the way I am going to make the motor detachable from the lid. I found that a 2" sanitary fitting matches the top of a sanke keg. A moded boona gasket and I am in like flinn. Although it fits nice and tight without a gasket. The clover clamp tightens right up.

Here is a shot of the fitting. The sanitary fitting is on the end of a hop back I made. (I polished the inside and left the weld outside)
P1010062.jpg

Just for kicks, here is the inside of my hop back.
P1010129.jpg

Thank you Bobby_M.

I think I am going to try this method out. He used 1" thick ridgid board from the depot. You know the pink stuff. It was then wrapped in the alum flashing. He says it works quite well. Here is his end result. Hard to believe there is a keg under there.

Too bad I don't know the guy or am a member on the forum I found it on. I could ask some questions.
Mashtun.jpg

GreenMonti - Nice work...
What size batches do you run? Just wondering, if the reduced capacity is gonna cause you problems with high gravity beers.

As you are well aware, I'm also building a system and I'm interested in what you come up with for insulation.

I just placed an order with mcmaster today... Had I seen Bobby's message I may have added a couple feet of the first item he listed. I wonder if I can change my order with mcmaster?

I'm hoping to try out my mlt next weekend (using my original hlt & bk). I was thinking of wrapping it with Reflex to see how it works.

Ed

GreenMonti - Nice work...
What size batches do you run? Just wondering, if the reduced capacity is gonna cause you problems with high gravity beers.

As you are well aware, I'm also building a system and I'm interested in what you come up with for insulation.

I just placed an order with mcmaster today... Had I seen Bobby's message I may have added a couple feet of the first item he listed. I wonder if I can change my order with mcmaster?

I'm hoping to try out my mlt next weekend (using my original hlt & bk). I was thinking of wrapping it with Reflex to see how it works.

Ed

Hey Ed,

I think we got crossed in posting. The above pic is from a forum I don't belong to. I didn't recive any feedback here, so in the google process this is what I found. I am going to try this due to the cost. I was gonna do the armorflex (I think that is what it was) till I saw this. Very clean looking and he says it only looses about a half a degree over the hour. While it sounds to good to be true, I must try it due to cost. Plus any insulation I add will only help out the steam injection I will be doing.

So, you will be droping off your kegs tomorrow, yes?

I will post the link to the Armorflex???

Here you go. Yes I spelled it wrong
This is the sheet I was thinking of using.
http://www.armaflex.com/www/armacel...2028D88D97A4B307C1256EDD005E1B42?OpenDocument

I think this is thier home page.
http://www.armaflex.com/www/armacell/armacell.nsf/ansHTMLSeitenLookUp/USA_Frame?OpenDocument

Oh, I forgot. I run 5 gallon batches. I figure I have more then enough room. So far a 13 lb batch only costs me about 3 inches of space in my current MLT. With my current false bottom, I barley get up to the first waiver in the side.

PM sent ED.

Hey Ed,

I think we got crossed in posting. The above pic is from a forum I don't belong to. I didn't recive any feedback here, so in the google process this is what I found. I am going to try this due to the cost. I was gonna do the armorflex (I think that is what it was) till I saw this. Very clean looking and he says it only looses about a half a degree over the hour. While it sounds to good to be true, I must try it due to cost. Plus any insulation I add will only help out the steam injection I will be doing.

So, you will be droping off your kegs tomorrow, yes?

I will post the link to the Armorflex???

Yes, the other 2 kegs get dropped off tomorrow. In my previous msg I was referring to the first couple posts you made (cutting the keg).

I just hung up the phone with mcmaster and added 2 feet of the polyurethane foam insulation to my order... I should have it Tuesday.

Do you think the aluminum flashing in that picture will be substantial enough? It just kinda seems like it may get banged up real easy.

Ed

Incidentally, I plan to shield my insulation out of necessity similar to that picture. AnoldUR hooked me up with a sheet of the semi rigid mineral wool insulation from Mcmaster and while it's capable of withstanding direct fire, it's delicate and would be ruined in a day if I don't wrap it. I'm off all this week so I plan to get to that project.

Have you found a retail source of the Armaflex?

Yes, the other 2 kegs get dropped off tomorrow. In my previous msg I was referring to the first couple posts you made (cutting the keg).

I just hung up the phone with mcmaster and added 2 feet of the polyurethane foam insulation to my order... I should have it Tuesday.

Do you think the aluminum flashing in that picture will be substantial enough? It just kinda seems like it may get banged up real easy.

Ed

Good point, Very possible. I thought of the flashing either getting banged up or a nice dent in it. It just seems to cheap of an option not to explore right now. I do like the Armarflex material, as well as the stuff Bobby linked too.

I am hoping that this build I wont have to remove the MLT for cleaning. We shall see how that goes.LOL.

I hope you get the same work (at a minimum) as that last fitting.

Incidentally, I plan to shield my insulation out of necessity similar to that picture. AnoldUR hooked me up with a sheet of the semi rigid mineral wool insulation from Mcmaster and while it's capable of withstanding direct fire, it's delicate and would be ruined in a day if I don't wrap it. I'm off all this week so I plan to get to that project.

Have you found a retail source of the Armaflex?

To be honest I haven't looked into it too much. When I saw the other option I was sold. I probly will look into it though just out of morbid couriosity (sp).

The order I placed with McMaster arrived today including 2' of the insulation that Bobby referenced. They shipped me about 28". I got my MLT put together tonight and decided to take if for a test drive. I put 15 gallons of water in it at about 100f and fired up my 1500watt rims heater. (my garage is 64f)

I just temporarily wrapped the insulation to see how it would work. The 54" length perfectly wraps around a keg. It took about 2 hours to raise the temp to 153. But of course I would never use my rims heater to heat that much water... I just thought if I could get it there, I should have no problems maintaining mash temps.

I think I am really going to like the insulation even though it is a little fragile. I used a single nylon strap for testing... I think I will stick with something like that but maybe 2 or 3 straps.

Good find Bobby... I'll let you know how it holds up.

Latest posts

Back