Green Chili Peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finchlake

Reaction score
Man, I’m envious of you guys out west. I did a couple of jobs out in New Mexico last year, and fell in love with Green Chili Peppers. Green Chili Peppers Stew, Green Chili Peppers on your hamburgers, Green Chili Peppers in every thing you cook!

I bought some back, canned and roasted, WOW. They go good with Louisiana cooking. I put the last of the canned Green Chili Peppers on a deer roast in the crook pot this morning.

Now I’m out. Can’t buy them around here. I want to grow me some next spring; can any out you tell me what type of plants to grow?

I dont know what you had but these are pretty good and seem to be at all the grocery stores with the taco stuff

Anaheim chilis are probably what you were eating...
Burpee has a pretty good selection of hot and sweet peppers

Pinetree Gardens
is another of my favorite sources

These guys also have an insane collection of chilis

What I do is just go to the grocery store, find a chili that looks good, take it home, pull out all the seeds, cook with the pepper, then plant the seeds the following spring. I have about 20 varieties of chilis that I have collected that way.

That wasn't the ones I had, but would probably just as good. I'll look for them in the stores.

The one I had, I bought in Ruidoso, New Mexico. They were in a yellow can, and I think were local. I didn't buy enought of them, because I didn't relize how good they were.

Yeah, "Big JIM" peppers I believe. I see the Hatch chile festival on the Food Network every year and just drool.

rabidgerbil said:
Anaheim chilis are probably what you were eating...
Burpee has a pretty good selection of hot and sweet peppers

Pinetree Gardens
is another of my favorite sources

These guys also have an insane collection of chilis

What I do is just go to the grocery store, find a chili that looks good, take it home, pull out all the seeds, cook with the pepper, then plant the seeds the following spring. I have about 20 varieties of chilis that I have collected that way.

No, if he got them from NM, then they were probably Green chilis. The ones from hatch (NM) are famous. But we leave off the "pepper" in the name. (grew up in NM). We still have 5 or six bags of roasted green chilis....mmmmmm.. Good in eggs too!

olllllo said:
Hatch FTW.

:off: Oh hey jeep, how was the Turkey? The biggest thing I always notice in difference is the texture, that the flavor is cleaner, and that the dark meat is actually dark. :D

Some good chile varieties for green:

Poblano and Anaheim (as mentioned above) are nice. A good size and low to no heat. You should be able to grow them out yer ears down there.

Thanks rabidgerbil

I've been off looking at your links on growing Chilis. There's a lot out there. I'm going to include some in my garden next year.

zoebisch01 said:
:off: Oh hey jeep, how was the Turkey? The biggest thing I always notice in difference is the texture, that the flavor is cleaner, and that the dark meat is actually dark. :D

Some good chile varieties for green:

Poblano and Anaheim (as mentioned above) are nice. A good size and low to no heat. You should be able to grow them out yer ears down there.

Agreed. Best part for me was the breast meat had some flavor and not some injected watered down butter mass.

OP: You might be able to get frozen roasted. Better than in the can IMO.

Latest posts

Back