Bottom of my carboy doesn't look right (might be mold)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRGRapid

Reaction score
ok so im on batch number 3, i was in the fermentation process and i was about to bottle when i noticed the bottom of the beer looked weird, i had already put most of the beer in my bottling bucket when i noticed it, i picked it up to look at the bottom and it didnt look right, it looked like dark sediment stuck together

its been in my closet at around 70 degrees, its been in there for 2 weeks and a half/3 weeks. the top looks fine, nothing looks bad except for the bottom

im wondering does anybody know about this/had this happen to them?

It's fine, besides there's nothing that will grow in beer that will harm you, the worst that can happen is it won't taste good.

I'm sure it's just one of the millions of variations of ugly looking trub that is produced do to the variations in yeast strains, grains, proteins and break material out there. Fermentation is usually ugly and stinky when it's perfectly normal, which 99.99% of the time, it is-perfectly normal.

That's why it is nearly impossible to compare how one batch looks to another, and also not to worry about how something looks. Only how the FINISHED product tastes.

What about trub in the actual bottles? This is what happened to me on my first batch... is there anyway to avoid this?

What about trub in the actual bottles? This is what happened to me on my first batch... is there anyway to avoid this?

Sure, there are dozens of ways to avoid this. Go over to the bottling forum and do a quick search, you'll find plenty of ideas from cheese cloths to paint strainers to siphoning technique to cold crashing, etc.

you're probably just seeing the yeast that has fallen out of suspension after carbing up your beers...perfectly normal!

you're probably just seeing the yeast that has fallen out of suspension after carbing up your beers...perfectly normal!

Yeah, even if it is trub a little practice and you'll be able to pour the beer out of the bottle without disturbing it. Leave the bottles in the fridge for a few days to cold crash and really compact that sediment, then you should be good to go!

But why do you never seen that in beers you buy? Is it natural to have a layer of sediment after you bottle and let sit for 10-14 days?

But why do you never seen that in beers you buy? Is it natural to have a layer of sediment after you bottle and let sit for 10-14 days?

If you're getting an unusual amount of sediment, perhaps you should be more careful when siphoning or let your beers sit longer in the primary so that more yeast drops out.

You DO see layers of yeast sediment in commercial beers, pick up a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale next time you're at the store. Turn it upside down white watching the bottom from the side.

I'm willing to bet though that you don't see it pour out for two reasons on the commercial brews:
1) They have been sitting longer in the bottle so the sediment is more compacted and solid
2) By know it is there in the homebrew you're more likely to notice it when it is poured out

Letsgogators10 said:

Most commercial beers bottle after the beer has been carbonated, eliminating the need for yeast in the bottle. Sierra nevada bottle conditions (like us bottlers do), so there's yeast in the bottles to carbonate.

many commercial beers are filtered for clarity, something you can do at home too if you really wanted to.

.. which you can do yourself at home if you keg your beer, and then use a counter pressure bottle filler to load up your bottles (AKA "Beer gun")

And yet MOST of the microbrews I choose to buy have yeast sediment in those bottles. Including Hoegaarden, and beers by Rogue, both of which many of us harvest the yeast from. It really depends on what beers you choose to consume. I tend to prefers belgians and other craft beers that are living beers instead of flitered, pasterurized and dead beers.

And yet MOST of the microbrews I choose to buy have yeast sediment in those bottles. Including Hoegaarden, and beers by Rogue, both of which many of us harvest the yeast from. It really depends on what beers you choose to consume. I tend to prefers belgians and other craft beers that are living beers instead of flitered, pasterurized and dead beers.

I like that - "dead beers."

My first beer love was with Boulevard - Pale Ale and Unfiltered Wheat (decidedly alive beers). I used to drink both straight from the bottle because I didn't know any better. Same with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Never be afraid of sediment, I say. If it was good enough to use in making the beer, then it's good enough for me to drink it.

Back