Book Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
OK, below is a list of my current library (at least as I remember it):

Complete Joy of Homebrewing
How to Brew
Classic Styles
Yeast: The Practical Guide
Homebrewers Garden
Brew Ware
Extreme Brewing <-Forgot that one

I am planning on getting "Designing Great Beers" next, but I thought I'd get some opinions on other books I might think about picking up also.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

That's a pretty good library already. Designing Great Beers is a great book, and I still go back to it everytime I try out a new style.

I would suggest some more expensive books, but I don't think many people are as stupid as me and willing to spend several hundred dollars on a few books.

I really have enjoyed Radical Brewing, by Randy Mosher.

If you are a fan of Belgian beer, check out Brew Like a Monk and also Farmhouse Ales. Both are great books, and Brew Like a Monk has become something of a philosophical manifesto for me. :)

Edit:
Forgot to mention Brew Chem 101. Some of it goes over my head, but it's nice to have a technical reference for what is happening during fermentation.

3rd Edition Technology Brewing and Malting by Wolfgang Kunze
Microbiological Methods
MBAA Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer - This one speaks more about commercial brewing though, so it may not be of interest to you.

I got Beer Captured for Christmas and I'm enjoying it. I picked up the ingredients for a recipe in the book tonight and I'm looking forward to brewing my first IPA.

Well I feel like an idiot now, I basically posted a thread asking for book suggestions.

WOOPS! I'll see if I can find some of these in your list.

:-D

I second Tasting Beer. It's not so much a book to help you brew, but it IS a very good read IMO. Mosher is a fabulous ambassador for the hobby.

Nothing wrong with designing great beer either.

I almost picked up Brewing With Wheat yesterday. I hear that's a great book.

Thanks. I'll add to my list. I've had a crazy couple of weeks and am still only 30 something pages into How to Brew. Hopefully I can pick it up soon and finish it.

I started with homebrewing for dummies by marty nachel and it really taught me to get my sea legs, I must have read it cover to cover four or five times. before I boiled my first gallon of wort, I have since graduated to some other books, breewing classic styles the complete joy and others but I really enjoyed homeebrewing for dummies and it was very straight forward and an easy guide for someone who had zero experience and noone to hold their hand the first few times, definately worth a read and I still reference it from time to time!

Finally got my copy of "Designing Great Beers" yesterday. Had to special order it frmo Books-a-Million and that took forever!

Not much time to read any, just scanned through it and I can tell I am going to like it by the way it is laid out.

Finally got my copy of "Designing Great Beers" yesterday. Had to special order it frmo Books-a-Million and that took forever!

Not much time to read any, just scanned through it and I can tell I am going to like it by the way it is laid out.

The first time I cracked my copy...I freaked out. It was extremely technical, and I was a noob. It collected dust for a few months until I started brewing all grain. Now I use it mostly when I'm brewing a new style that I haven't tackled much.

Latest posts

Back