Mead Fermentation Activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombatkoala

Reaction score
I started a small 2.5 gal batch of mead - very basic honey and water with champagne yeast - and then forgot to watch it. I'm used to brewing beer which has always been pretty active when fermenting - is mead the same way? There's no buildup over the liquid, and I'm wondering if the fermentation ever started, or if I need to restart the yeast.

I also neglected to take the specific gravity of the mead before I put it in there, so I am unable to check if it has changed.

It really depends on how long ago you pitched the yeast. Yesterday, last week? Also, how much honey did you add and we can usually take a shot at what your OG would have been.

This was done back in mid-February - we did 5lbs of clover honey, it's been sitting in a closet for the last few weeks.

I was looking at the FAQs (wish I'd done that before I started!) and I do not believe I started the yeast correctly, and I know I did not add nitrogen, so I will try to do that with some new yeast.

A rough guess at the OG would be very helpful if someone could estimate it.

A quick and dirty run through beer calculus gives me about 1.070 for 5# of honey in a 2.5G batch... I would guess that your FG would be well below 1.000 at this point.

Back