Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this recipe lives up to all the great feedback.

Brewed this on Sunday. Knocked out 5.5 gal at 1.066 which is currently fermenting with 3724.

Also added 1.5# each of rye and pilsner to spent grains and ran off 3 gal of 1.032 second runnings which is currently fermenting on Belle Saison.

First saison; weird opening my ferm chamber and feeling heat...

I hope this recipe lives up to all the great feedback.

Brewed this on Sunday. Knocked out 5.5 gal at 1.066 which is currently fermenting with 3724.

Also added 1.5# each of rye and pilsner to spent grains and ran off 3 gal of 1.032 second runnings which is currently fermenting on Belle Saison.

First saison; weird opening my ferm chamber and feeling heat...

I think you'll really be happy w/ this CC.

I've made it w/ Belle, 3726, 3724, and some funk I got from Lolo as well. Excellent results all around.

Ah yeah that funky one though... That's HF, Tired hands and De Garde bottles dreggs and it makes bomb beers. Cheers. You will like it Shawn. Keep that puppy warm and if the 3724 sticks on you pitch some Belle in that one too! Cheers
@coldcrash

Ah yeah that funky one though... That's HF, Tired hands and De Garde bottles dreggs and it makes bomb beers. Cheers. You will like it Shawn. Keep that puppy warm and if the 3724 sticks on you pitch some Belle in that one too! Cheers
@coldcrash

I tossed in that blend on my batch with 3724 when it got stuck.

I also just brewed up a dark wheat beer with a side of it on the blend.

I'll get you some samples once their bottled

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427643953.892272.jpg
Seven day gravity samples.

Second runnings on the right (1.032 down to 1.002 using Belle).

Main beer on the left (only down to 1.042 with 3724 in spite of daily rousing and plenty of heat).

Giving it a few more days to see if it moves any, but looks like I'll have to send Belle in to close the deal.

Tipical 3724 .. Why does that stain even exist ? They need to drop it and sell 3726-pc year round IMO.

Wow, this all looks so good. I'm going to make a batch and throw it on top of my Berliner yeast cake and pitch with Brett C i think. Props on the solid recipe!

how many vol co2 did everyone go bottling this? last saison I made I carbed pretty high like 2.8 I think, but was reallly good still.

I brewed a batch of this with a little less Coriander, then at bottling I added about 1 pint of Hibiscus tea made from 60g dried flowers per 5gal to the bucket at the same time as priming sugar syrup. I didn't add the flowers to the racking bucket, just the tea. It's fantastic!

tried the gravity sample today and it was ok. reminded me of a wheat beer with the corriander but was still good. have to see how it comes out once its bottled and conditioned. the spice kind of overpowered any saison yeast funk that I was hoping would take center stage, but there's still time left for it to change things up.

I just brewed this on 5/12(BIAB). OG was 1.066, and it smells amazing. I used Wyeast 3724, so I decided to get a Fermwrap heater and an aquarium temperature controller. I pitched at 70°F and started using the heat wrap on day 3. I've got the temp up to 80°F, and I'll probably take it up to 90°F over the next week, and let it hang out there until it's done. I can't wait to try this beer!

Brewed this on 4/12/15. I didn't stray from the recipe at all. I did my primary in buckets which were submerged in a large Rubbermaid container filled with water. I bought a $10 fish tank heater and stuck it to the side. When fermentation started, I slowly turned the heater up over the course of a day until the water temperature reached 88 degrees (the heater topped out there). Fermentation finished after 3 or 4 days and I brought took the heater out of the water bath and let the temperature go down naturally. Then I put it into a secondary and let it sit for a few weeks at ~ 66 degrees. A LOT of yeast dropped out during secondary, but there is still the classic haze of a saison in the beer.

Tasted this yesterday when kegging. This is a VERY good beer! I'm excited for this to get chilled and carbonated!

Thanks for the recipe!

Excited to brew this one this weekend. I'm going to use the Yeast Bay Saison Blend. Anybody have experience with it?

LoloMT7 - According to my software, the SRM is about 3.6. Have you ever been docked points because it was lighter in colour than the BJCP range for saisons? Also, I don't have any candy sugar, will dextrose work just as well or would you recommend a different sugar? Thanks!

I'd use any sugar. I just go with white table sugar for my saisons. The only time I've used candi sugar is the dark syrups for like a belgian dubbel.

I doubt they woudl think your saison is "too light" is such a broad style, whose to say exactly where the color lines lie?

Excited to brew this one this weekend. I'm going to use the Yeast Bay Saison Blend. Anybody have experience with it?

LoloMT7 - According to my software, the SRM is about 3.6. Have you ever been docked points because it was lighter in colour than the BJCP range for saisons? Also, I don't have any candy sugar, will dextrose work just as well or would you recommend a different sugar? Thanks!

I have used that saison blend and wasnt terribly impressed with it. It attenuated way less than I wanted, I believe it ended at 1.014 or higher. Didnt produce a bad saison, but didnt create a typical dry beer that you look for in a saison. I would highly recommend belle saison yeast. Just pitch one pack, no need to rehydrate. As far as sugar goes, just using 1 pound of cane sugar will work to dry it out further and add some gravity points. I used to use belgian candi sugar but now just use cane and still produce great saisons. Help that helps!

I have used that saison blend and wasnt terribly impressed with it. It attenuated way less than I wanted, I believe it ended at 1.014 or higher. Didnt produce a bad saison, but didnt create a typical dry beer that you look for in a saison. I would highly recommend belle saison yeast. Just pitch one pack, no need to rehydrate. As far as sugar goes, just using 1 pound of cane sugar will work to dry it out further and add some gravity points. I used to use belgian candi sugar but now just use cane and still produce great saisons. Help that helps!

I second Fins Belle recommendation. I was really happy with the results. Nice and dry.

I second Fins Belle recommendation. I was really happy with the results. Nice and dry.

Even though I had one attenuate to .999, it still has nice mouthfeel to it and I wouldnt have guessed it was THAT dry from the taste. I havent tried all the saison strains out there, but this one seems perfect from my experience with it and others.

Even though I had one attenuate to .999, it still has nice mouthfeel to it and I wouldnt have guessed it was THAT dry from the taste. I havent tried all the saison strains out there, but this one seems perfect from my experience with it and others.

I really like it, I prefer it to the more peppery 3711. I made a batch w/ 3726. It didn't dry out near as much as I thought it would [1.01]. It was still good just a touch sweet.

I really like the batch I made w/ @lolomt7 saison blend. It was mighty tasty w/ a little funy.

Thanks for the info. I'm still going to go ahead with the YB Saison Blend because I already have my starter started. But I'll make sure to mash low and long, and I might up the sugar a little.

Thanks for the info. I'm still going to go ahead with the YB Saison Blend because I already have my starter started. But I'll make sure to mash low and long, and I might up the sugar a little.

Id do 148 for the mash and yeah more table sugar will certainly help. Cheers!

Id do 148 for the mash and yeah more table sugar will certainly help. Cheers!

I brewed this on Saturday. Mashed at 147 for almost two hours and added 8% sugar near the end of the boil. It has been bubbling away and smells great. I went with the Motueka version. As a hop head, it's a little difficult to fight the urge to dry hop...maybe the next time around.

I brewed this on Saturday. Mashed at 147 for almost two hours and added 8% sugar near the end of the boil. It has been bubbling away and smells great. I went with the Motueka version. As a hop head, it's a little difficult to fight the urge to dry hop...maybe the next time around.

Dry hop away my friend. I hardly ever skip that step in a saison now. You certainly wont be sorry you dry hopped haha. And I love motueka/mosaic in saisons. Cant go wrong with either or both. Cheers!

Drinking a version I made with belle, it's alright. nice and dry, smooth saison funkiness but just not quite what I prefer. Have made a few with 3711 in the past and think I'll try it with this recipe next time.

Dry hop away my friend. I hardly ever skip that step in a saison now. You certainly wont be sorry you dry hopped haha. And I love motueka/mosaic in saisons. Cant go wrong with either or both. Cheers!

Brewed up a batch last Friday, came in at 1.070 and being a hop head myself I was thinking about dry hopping as well since the my brew software is now calling for the batch to be slightly malty. I do have 8 oz of mosiac on hand, about 1 oz per 5 gallon batch?

Brewed up a batch last Friday, came in at 1.070 and being a hop head myself I was thinking about dry hopping as well since the my brew software is now calling for the batch to be slightly malty. I do have 8 oz of mosiac on hand, about 1 oz per 5 gallon batch?

I would think 1 or 2 ounces would leave a nice fruity aroma to it. You could certainly do more depending on your tastes though. If you arent brewing to style, you can always dry hop to taste. I really enjoy a nice aroma punch in a saison, but again that just my tastes. Mosaic is fantastic either way though, cheers!

Update: took a gravity reading tonight and I'm happy to report that it is currently sitting at 1.005 and I think it's still going to drop another couple of points. I'm going to skip the dry hop, the sample was super fruity, quite a bit of citrus and lemon.

Gordon Strong of BJCP fame tasted one of my attempts at this the other night.
He was already three sheets to the wind from a heavy day of 'tasting', but after he told me to **** off (long story :p ) he gave it a try. Said it was good, but either needed to drop the ABV (mine started a bit strong due to too much sugar) or give it a bit more 'bite', since even at 0.998 it tasted sweet. So, if you're looking to up the ABV of your versions, keep that in mind.

Planned on dry hopping my batch today and bottle this Suday, which would be 2 days before the planned c section of our first child. However he had other plans and arrived yesterday, so looks like this one is going to sit for a little while. Gravity was down to 1.002 on 5/31.

Okay, I've read through all the posts here and I'm excited about this recipe!

But, I'm a mere extract brewer; still very new to the hobby.

Using some online conversions, I think I came up with an extract version.

Grains:
6.7 lbs Pilsner LME
2.0 lbs Wheat DME
8 oz Vienna Malt (Steep)
4 oz Acid Malt (Steep)

Hops schedule, yeast and additions will remain the same.

Does this work? I'd really like to brew this in the coming weeks.

Okay, I've read through all the posts here and I'm excited about this recipe!

But, I'm a mere extract brewer; still very new to the hobby.

Using some online conversions, I think I came up with an extract version.

Grains:
6.7 lbs Pilsner LME
2.0 lbs Wheat DME
8 oz Vienna Malt (Steep)
4 oz Acid Malt (Steep)

Hops schedule, yeast and additions will remain the same.

Does this work? I'd really like to brew this in the coming weeks.

The wheat DME is only 50%-65% wheat, depending on the maltster, the balance is Pilsner. So you want to adjust that.

The Vienna is a base malt, needs to be mashed, so do a mini mash with that. It's such a small amount you can do it a gallon pot in a pre-warmed oven, and lauter through a strainer or large sieve.

Not sure what the true function of the acid malt is in the recipe, it maybe to acidify the mash a bit in the original recipe, but that is specific to the brewing water used, or, which is my assumption, create a very, very slight tartness in the beer. Do NOT mash that acid grain with the Vienna, they simply won't mash. Instead I'd add 1 teaspoon of 88% lactic acid to 5 gallon of beer with the priming sugar solution, before bottling:

Based on googling, acid malt is about 3%, by weight, lactic acid. So, a pound would have 453.6 *.03 grams of pure lactic acid. The SG of 88% lactic acid solution is apparently about 1.21, so (453.6 *.03 / .88) * 1.21 ~= 18.711ml lactic acid (88% w/w)

4oz Acid Malt would be equivakent to 4.7ml 88% Lactic Acid, about a teaspoon (4.93 ml).

Back