Mishandled bottles at checkout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisoneguy

Reaction score
Man, am I the only one who cringes when I check out at the bottle shop and watch the cashier mishandle my beer (singles, bombers, 4- or 6-packs)?

I had a pretty good score today, but I'm bummed... I have to wait until tomorrow to try any of it so the yeast can settle back out after the cashier was so NOT careful with my bottles.

Silver lining: tomorrow I get to try Maharaja for the first time. :rockin: I hope it's as good as I've heard.

You know, back in the day I worked as a checker in a grocery store. Well, there was this one lady who would come through and buy 30 or 40 apples at a time and ask "don't bounce the apples" of the checker and the bagger. She was terrified that they would get bruised from being placed on the scale or on the conveyor belt. But she would cram that cartfull of apples in one or two plastic produce bags. You couldn't even pick one bag up to put them on the scale with all of the apples wobbling around, so you had to cradle that bag like a damn newborn, gently picking it up to weigh them, making sure those stupid apples wouldn't slide around and risk one getting bruised when you put them on the scale.

One time I weighed her apples and passed them back to the bagger, and the lady saw a little shake as the bag of apples went into the bag. ***** freaked, screaming "I SAID DON'T BOUNCE THE APPLES" before launching into this tirade about what sort of idiots worked at the grocery store. I felt so bad for that bagger. I mean, we were High School students working for like $5 an hour taking crap from the sort of people who were too dumb to put their freaking precious apples in the bag three or four at a time.

So screw you and your "oh, they don't treat my beer bottles right" attitude. You want to be such a snob that your bottles have to be cradled across the scanner with velvet gloved hands? Bring your own gloves and ring them up yourself. Then put them in your car and turn the engine on to drive home. See how that rouses the yeast. So you can't stand to get drunk on three bombers of "mishandled" beers the same day you bought them? Suck it up and wait. There's going to be another Saturday night coming around in a whole week.

Until then bake yourself a pie with your unbounced apples, you picky freak.

You know, back in the day I worked as a checker in a grocery store. Well, there was this one lady who would come through and buy 30 or 40 apples at a time and ask "don't bounce the apples" of the checker and the bagger. She was terrified that they would get bruised from being placed on the scale or on the conveyor belt. But she would cram that cartfull of apples in one or two plastic produce bags. You couldn't even pick one bag up to put them on the scale with all of the apples wobbling around, so you had to cradle that bag like a damn newborn, gently picking it up to weigh them, making sure those stupid apples wouldn't slide around and risk one getting bruised when you put them on the scale.

One time I weighed her apples and passed them back to the bagger, and the lady saw a little shake as the bag of apples went into the bag. ***** freaked, screaming "I SAID DON'T BOUNCE THE APPLES" before launching into this tirade about what sort of idiots worked at the grocery store. I felt so bad for that bagger. I mean, we were High School students working for like $5 an hour taking crap from the sort of people who were too dumb to put their freaking precious apples in the bag three or four at a time.

So screw you and your "oh, they don't treat my beer bottles right" attitude. You want to be such a snob that your bottles have to be cradled across the scanner with velvet gloved hands? Bring your own gloves and ring them up yourself. Then put them in your car and turn the engine on to drive home. See how that rouses the yeast. So you can't stand to get drunk on three bombers of "mishandled" beers the same day you bought them? Suck it up and wait. There's going to be another Saturday night coming around in a whole week.

Wow.

Having worked in the service industry and retail for a number of years, I would never DREAM of being rude to a cashier or other person helping me out for something as trivial as this. I certainly didn't say anything to the person... You might be happy to know that I kept my mouth shut and just wished to myself - silently - that the person didn't turn my beer literally upside down to scan it.

Sorry you had a bad experience with one ********* old lady a long time ago. Don't take it out on me.

You want to be such a snob that your bottles have to be cradled across the scanner with velvet gloved hands?

this made my night...retail is the worst career in the world and this reminds me why.

I will not say you are the only one, but I would think you are in the minority.

How do you keep the yeast from getting disturbed on the ride home, or in the cart before checking out, or by the guy that looked at the bottle 30 minuted before you did?

The only time I would cringe about the handling at the bottle shop is if there was a chance they could break the bottles putting them in a bag.

Don't sweat it.

Wow.

Having worked in the service industry and retail for a number of years, I would never DREAM of being rude to a cashier or other person helping me out for something as trivial as this. I certainly didn't say anything to the person... You might be happy to know that I kept my mouth shut and just wished to myself - silently - that the person didn't turn my beer literally upside down to scan it.

Sorry you had a bad experience with one ********* old lady a long time ago. Don't take it out on me.

Totally written for the humor. No anger at all behind it. Just thought it would be funny.

But the apples story is true. Still can't believe the gall of that woman.

Cashiers really take a (usually) undue beating. The price of groceries is not their fault. Debit cards being declined because the customer can't balance their own bank account is not their fault. And they have nothing to do with what isn't paid for by a food assistance card.

And how picky people can be about what's bagged with what. Yeah, a french bread between to jugs of bleach is a bag idea, but a carton of eggs will be just fine under a loaf of sliced bread. You don't need separate bags for each, you bag hoarding hump.

I'm kinda with the OP on this one. There is a big difference between the yeast being roused a little by the starting of your car engine and the cashier letting your bottles fall over on the conveyer or rolling them down to the bagger and completely mixing the nicely packed yeast ring back into the beer.

I would never say anything to a cashier about it, but I do cringe every time. Mostly because I don't buy beer very often and when I do I want to drink it right away when I get home, not wait a week for another Friday or Saturday night to come around.

Self checkout registers are a lifesaver if your store has them.

And as far as the drive home goes, big cup holders work great or just bracing the bottles upright on the seat with something works too if you don't have to go very far. Maybe try the seatbelt next time :)

Ha. this thread brought back some good memories from my old grocery store days.
I worked at a store that was privately owned. On Friday and Saturday night we would wait till the owner went home and then we would take a break back in the beer cooler. We had our own man cave before man caves were cool. No pun intended. :mug:

I don't usually have problems with how they handle my beer, but I hate it when they bag my hot, pre-packaged food with a package of raw chicken... :rolleyes:

I hate it when I drink yeast. I mean, it's nutritious and good for you. Why the hell would I want that? I especially it hate when my hefeweizen yeast gets stirred up. :D

I have to say I have to side with the OP too. I did a brewery tour at Allagash and then bought 2 bottles to drink later. (I live in Portland ME so its not out of the way to go there.) But when I bought them the lady working the front tipped the bottles upside down to put them in the bag then turned them back back over and handed them to me. Ok, maybe at a grocery store, but Allagash! All there bottles are bottle conditioned! She should have known better. Sigh. Rant over.

Where are you people buying your craft beer pre-chilled? All of the good beers I buy are room temp and require an hour or two of refrigeration before I drink them at least, and in that time the yeast settle out anyway.

Ha. this thread brought back some good memories from my old grocery store days.
I worked at a store that was privately owned. On Friday and Saturday night we would wait till the owner went home and then we would take a break back in the beer cooler. We had our own man cave before man caves were cool. No pun intended. :mug:

Best post yet! :mug:

I hate it when I drink yeast. I mean, it's nutritious and good for you. Why the hell would I want that? I especially it hate when my hefeweizen yeast gets stirred up. :D

Depends on the yeast doesn't it. Of course hefeweizens are supposed to have a bunch of low floculating yeast in suspension, but when a bottle of double IPA gets shaken and there are giant chunks of highly floculent yeast and dregs floating around in the beer you were excited about drinking it is kind of off-putting.

I cringe evrytime but never say anything. Nice cold bomber and the lady always lays it down to put it in a paper bag. However not as bad as rolling it down the conveyor.

Slightly off topic but a favorite belgian bar by me drives me nuts doing stuff like this. I order a nice bottlemof something and they always pour part of the bottle in the glass for you and set it back down. Looks fancy i suppose but thanks, i wanted to drink yeast in my second pour.

Yea been there got the t-shirt...a store near me has prices or scans the bottom of the sixer...I cringe when I see a nice bottle conditioned brew flippped sideways or upside down to be rung up....or my girlfriend breaks a sixer and puts all the bottles in the fridge laying down cause fridge space was at a premium...I get over it...

Now the apples at the market...not a concern at all.

^this, a thousand times this.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you guys all drive, or your driving methods, but I've gotten bottles of beer from people who have traveled considerable distance and they yeast at the bottom has not been stirred up much if at all.

I've taken beer on trips to a friend's house that lives 2.5 hours away on MICHIGAN ROADS and they haven't been stirred up.

And I would have no problem asking a checkout person to please don't shake or tip my bottle upside down. If they do then politely decline that bottle and get a new one.

You wouldn't ask the person at the pet store to kick a puppy, would you? Then why allow them to treat some even more precious that way?

You wouldn't ask the person at the pet store to kick a puppy, would you? Then why allow them to treat some even more precious that way?

it doesn't really matter, because they won't do it anyway- no matter how politely you phrase the request

I think the OP is overreacting a little bit (and the second post is one of the funniest things I've read in a while), but the OP did mention that this was a bottle shop. You'd think that someone who works there would receive at least a little training about how to properly handle the spendy beers. I wouldn't expect the 16 year old at the Piggly Wiggly to know how to handle a bottle-conditioned Belgian, but a bottle shop employee ought to know. I know the *fancy* place that I go to, they're uber-careful about how they handle the merchandise.

Mojo, that is one of the funniest posts I have read. Well written and conveyed in a humorous manner. You definately have your mojo sir.

I rarely buy a cold bomber and chug it as soon as I get out the door. I take it home and put it in the fridge for at least a few hours, if not a day or two. But I normally have a lot of craft brew already cold at home, so I can let new purchases sit for a while before I drink them.

BTW, equating turning a bottle conditioned beer upside down while scanning it to kicking a puppy is asinine. The yeast will resettle and be just fine.

Back