Blue Moon Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzermann

Reaction score
I am now planning my 3rd batch and I would like to make a Blue Moon Clone. This is going to be my last extract kit. This is what I have so far for this batch

Edme Wheat Beer Kit
2lbs Plain Spray Malt Extract (55% Wheat / 45% Barley)
1oz Bitter Orange Peal
11.5g Safbrew S-33 Yeast

Anything else I could gather to get the most out of this brew?

whebee.jpg

L101.jpg

yeast nutrient, (Irish moss if you want a somewhat clearer hefe), Cool the wort as fast as you can.
Give it two/three weeks to ferment and settle, then enjoy.

I just bought this kit Monday night, took a few days for them to process it so I won't have it till next week. I have high hopes for it, pretty cheap for a 5 gallon batch compared to my LHBS. This will be my first time using LME which could be interesting.

Has anyone used this clone before? How close to the real deal is it?

I also read someone else who used that in their Blue Moon Clone, I will pick some up for the LHBS. Thanks.

As far as hops? Thats in the kit

Don't waste money at the Homebrew store on corriander seed. Just stop by the grocery store. Its a common food spice. It will probably be fresher. If you buy it in the shakers, you can use it on a lot of food.

Yes, I just looked that up and it is nothing more than what we call in the US as "Cilantro".

This is VERY bad info to pass along. Cilantro is an herb. Coriander is a spice. Same plant maybe. Totally different end products. It is like saying Acorns and Oak planking are the same thing.

Edit again: I keep responding too quickly.

Don't waste money at the Homebrew store on corriander seed. Just stop by the grocery store. Its a common food spice. It will probably be fresher. If you buy it in the shakers, you can use it on a lot of food.

I assumed this same thing. Then I looked at the prices between LHBS and supermarket. LHBS actually won out by a buck. $4.50 vs $3.50. And my LHBS is very expensive.

2n6gs3a.jpg

I have 1 bottle of AHS Blue Moon clone left, I am planning to brew Witbier again but not necessarily same kit and definitely with liquid yeast next time.

My only good Blue Moon Clone recipe used 1/2oz of each Corriander and Orange. I added them, in a muslin bag, at 5 minutes and took them out after it was done cooling.

Also, I reccommend the witbier yeast from Wyeast. The safbrew did not turn out well for me.

I did this brew last night...I did not use a bag for the Bitter Orange Peel or Coriander Seeds...lol

I have high expectations for this batch..it has caused me some problems already though. I had a regualr airlock on at first..just happened to check on it before going to bed and the airlock was full of gunk...I switched out to a blow-off...woke up this morning to the blow-off full of gunk...I have now switched it back to a regular airlock and it is over there now going fine...lots of movement. :)

I made this:

Edme Wheat
3 lbs Honey
1 oz crushed Coriander seed
1 oz sweet orange peel

Coriander and Orange last 10 minutes of boil

Strained through colander into fermenter.

I used the yeast that came with the Edme Wheat.

Fermented two weeks, then bottled.

Excellent beer! To me tastes like a cross between Blue Moon and Leneinkugel's Sunset Wheat. Closer to Blue Moon. I know many on here hate Leinies but the above are my two favorite commercial wheat beers. Now I need to be able to duplicate this without the Edme extract can. I'm still extract but with LME/DME and hops and then my honey, etc.

BierMuncher has a great recipe for a blue moon clone. there is an extract/partial mash version in the thread somewhere. i brewed the AG 10 days ago and kegged it tonight, i will sample later this week but the hydro sample told me it will be fantastic.

Any reports on how close/good the clones turned out to the real deal? I have some buddies who are begging me to make a blue moon clone -- I'm contemplating making it, I just don't want them to be disappointed.

mine turned out great, but not quite a clone. it was more like hoegaarten, which was totally fine by me. it's spicier than blue moon, i don't know if my coriander didn't contribute enough citrus aroma or if my orange peel was pithy or what, or if it's the hops, but it is definitely more 'bitter' than Blue moon.

Any reports on how close/good the clones turned out to the real deal? I have some buddies who are begging me to make a blue moon clone -- I'm contemplating making it, I just don't want them to be disappointed.

Its pretty easy to make actually.

Closest I've ever come was something like 4# 2 row, 3# white wheat, 2# flaked wheat. 1/2 oz Perle at 50 minutes, 1/2 oz orange zest and 1/2 oz corriander at flameout. WLP400 yeast.

I think blue moon's website says that it has Oats in the recipe as well, but I tried the oats and I really didn't like it that much. YMMV, I suppose you might add some Oats in there to be "authentic" - personally I've tried them side by side and I just don't notice the oats in the real thing at all, and then I didn't really care for the taste of the oats in the homebrew version either.

For an extract version, instead of the grain use 5# Wheat Spray Extract. Honestly, might as well just make the extract version I think its just as good. Its less trouble all around.

Back