Smuttynose IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Havent had this in a while, and boy is it good! The bottle says brewed in november, and the only flaw is the lack of strong hop aroma. if this was fresher it would be on my top-ten IPA list. Very round bitterness, cascade type aroma, with nice body full of enough of crystal sweetness to balance the mellow, yet high amount of bitterness. Classic american west coast style IPA...very, very good!

I agree. I like it OK, but it could use more hop aroma for my tastes. To me, it a cross between a west coast IPA and an English type IPA. Which makes sense, I guess, since the brewery is geographically between the two. :D

If I had a gun to my head, or was dosed with truth serum, I may just admit that Smuttynose IPA is my favorite American IPA.

Though it depends on the day.

I'm a huge fan of everything by Smuttynose that I've tried. I must admit (hopheads here might flip) that theirs is the only IPA I've ever had. Not to hi-jack, but would anyone recommend any others to try?

gaelone said:
I'm a huge fan of everything by Smuttynose that I've tried. I must admit (hopheads here might flip) that theirs is the only IPA I've ever had. Not to hi-jack, but would anyone recommend any others to try?

STONE IPA.

That is all. :D

Actually, I haven't tried all that's out there, but overall Stone is my fave. You should also try DFH 60 and 90 min. SN Celebration Ale also kicks ass, but it's probably not going to be seen again until late this year. Although not a true IPA, you might also try Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. It's incredible.

lagunitas dogtown pale
anchor liberty
celebration ale
harpoon IPA
victory hop-devil
dogfish 60
anderson valley hop-ottin
mendencino eye of the hawk
brooklyn brewery IPA
bridgeport IPA
stone
shipyard IPA

Had the DFH 90 minute last night. I think they put a hop or two in there. This was a very nice beer with a great nose. Totally different beast than Smutty's. Thanks for the suggestions.

Dude, the label on that Sleighor sounds awesome.

gaelone said:

IMHO.

Victory Hop Devil
McNeill's Dead horse IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration ale
DFH 90 and 120
ACME IPA
Humboldt Brewing Company IPA

I just had my first Smuttynose IPA and it was G-U-D good!!!! I still put DFH 60 and 90 ahead of it but it sure beats White Hawk, Sam Smith, and Saranac. I also recently had Shipyard IPA for the first time which was pretty good. That brewery is out of Portland, Maine.

just put a couple Smuttys in the freezer to cool. Was not planning on having any tonight, but got pulled into some work stuff at home, so I am indulging. I will report back in a few minutes. Right now, I am enjoying the last bottle from my first ever batch from 6 months ago. It is pretty damn good! I also had a liter of my Banshee's brother, so I am primed.

according to thier website (smuttynose) they use amirillo for bittering and simcoe and santium for flavor/aroma...i might have to use some amirillo for my next IPA...it doesnt seem as agressive as chinook; more 'round'

Bjorn Borg said:
according to thier website (smuttynose) they use amirillo for bittering and simcoe and santium for flavor/aroma...i might have to use some amirillo for my next IPA...it doesnt seem as agressive as chinook; more 'round'

Oh, I'd definitely agree with that. My LWPA on tap right now is bittered with Amarillo and it is very soft compared to Chinook. It still has a nice "kick" though. It is one of my new favorite hops.

I'm still on a chinook kick right now though.

I am drinking one now, from Feb- it is good stuff! definitely agree with the flavoring comments above. I would definitely like to try and duplicate this...

i still like chinnook. ive got an amber ale @ 40 ibus thats freakin bitter as sh*t! and i used like 3/4 lb of victory and the bitterness still breaks through all that malty backbone...

im pissed right now i just opened a harpoon IPA that taste like sewage, and i just noticed the 'bottled on 10/05" stamp...DAMN, i didnt see that in the store!!!

i know IPA's were originally supposed to be potable after a 6 mos. voyage but that was like in th 1800's... i wants mines fresh ass fish!

Bjorn Borg said:
i still like chinnook. ive got an amber ale @ 40 ibus thats freakin bitter as sh*t! and i used like 3/4 lb of victory and the bitterness still breaks through all that malty backbone...

im pissed right now i just opened a harpoon IPA that taste like sewage, and i just noticed the 'bottled on 10/05" stamp...DAMN, i didnt see that in the store!!!

i know IPA's were originally supposed to be potable after a 6 mos. voyage but that was like in th 1800's... i wants mines fresh ass fish!

Funny you say that. I got into it with the manager at Total Wine today. I wanted a "fresher" Victory Hop Devil than what was on the shelf. They have an aisle of singles, and this one was stamped from October as well. I asked for a fresher bottle and he looked at me like I was crazy. I said, "okay, I'll go put the rest of this armful of beers back and go to Bon Vivant tomorrow" and he INSTANTLY changed moods. He even went to the back and got me the last Legend Hopfest (great stuff) they had.

Dude said:
Funny you say that. I got into it with the manager at Total Wine today. I wanted a "fresher" Victory Hop Devil than what was on the shelf. They have an aisle of singles, and this one was stamped from October as well. I asked for a fresher bottle and he looked at me like I was crazy. I said, "okay, I'll go put the rest of this armful of beers back and go to Bon Vivant tomorrow" and he INSTANTLY changed moods. He even went to the back and got me the last Legend Hopfest (great stuff) they had.

yeah that place is suspect...i always take a 'single' from a six pack instead of the dusty ones your supposed to take. I noticed that 'hop-devil' has a bottling date on the singles only, not in the sixers! Next time im going to take a single from the refrigerated case, their is less selection but im NOT gonna drink a 4 dollar chimay thats been on a warm shelf for 6 months.

p.s. wheres Bon Vivant?

Bjorn Borg said:
yeah that place is suspect...i always take a 'single' from a six pack instead of the dusty ones your supposed to take. I noticed that 'hop-devil' has a bottling date on the singles only, not in the sixers! Next time im going to take a single from the refrigerated case, their is less selection but im NOT gonna drink a 4 dollar chimay thats been on a warm shelf for 6 months.

p.s. wheres Bon Vivant?

Smithfield. Check it out man. The place rocks the hizzle. The beer wall is awesome. They specialize in wine though.

http://www.bonvivantmarket.com/

Bjorn Borg said:

Funny you mention that. I was trying Boulder Beer Co's IPA--Mojo IPA--which is very good and it is bittered with amarillo and finished with centennial. really nice combo.

Bjorn Borg said:
Havent had this in a while, and boy is it good! The bottle says brewed in november, and the only flaw is the lack of strong hop aroma. if this was fresher it would be on my top-ten IPA list. Very round bitterness, cascade type aroma, with nice body full of enough of crystal sweetness to balance the mellow, yet high amount of bitterness. Classic american west coast style IPA...very, very good!

Is this a "regular" beer, or one of their Big Beer series? I always like the series... Their Maibock was one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Latest posts

Back