Dubbel Recipe, Raisins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all, here is what I am brewing today.

Dubbel:

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.018
IBU: 18
SRM: 18
Eff: 70%
ABV - 7%

2-Row - 10 lbs
Aromatic - 1 lb
Munich - 1lb
Dark Candi Sugar - .75 lbs
Cane Sugar - .5 lbs

.5 oz Sterling @ 60
1 oz Saaz @ 15

Yeast - WLP530

4 oz Raisins @ End of Boil

Is this the right way to use raisins? i wasnt sure if I use them at the end of the boil or in the secondary, and the 4 oz is sort of an arbitrary # since I have no idea how much to put in.

A few things, Im not using Special B in this recipe, I know. I also realize that its a little dark for the style, but I think by like only 1 SRM, 17 being max. I am also using a bit of cane sugar to sort of dry out the recipe a little bit, just for good measure really as I am using the dark candi for color.

That's not many raisins, but I'd put them in the fermenter. It takes a while for the sugars to leach out.

Just for reference, what I did here was added 6 oz of raisins to about 2 cups of wort and puree'd it, then I added that to my kettle with 10 minutes left in the boil. I also plan on throwing a few in the secondary....

Couple of things here ... adding raisins to your beer won't give you a raisin like flavor in your double. You'll get that flavor with Special B.

Second, that's not a lot of raisins and I don't think it'll contribute much. And, what it does contribute I don't think you'll be happy with.

I just did a raisin dubble and have it on keg. It's not an easy beer to drink. I added more raisins and boiled them with some water making a very thick liquid and added that to the secondary, but it adds a very cidery/wine-like flavor (more wine-like than anything). You should definitely look at what flavor profiles you want and go from there, rather than looking at what you can add and going from there.

Back