Dried vs Fresh Ginger Root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a clone recipe for Ommegang's Hennepin, a saison style belgian. It calls for 1 oz of dried ginger root. I was thinking about using fresh ginger. So my question is, will there be a difference? Which is my better bet, dry or fresh? And if I am to use fresh, how much do I use? Oh, and for those that are interested, I'll post the recipe below.

Thanks,
Mark

Brewery Ommegang Hennepin
(5 gallons, extract only)
OG = 1.070 FG = 1.008 IBUs = 24 ABV = 8.0%

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. Muntons light malt extract syrup
0.5 lbs. Muntons light malt extract powder
2 lbs. light candi sugar
6.5 AAU Styrian Golding hops (bittering hop)
(1.25 oz. of 5.25% alpha acid)
1.75 AAU Saaz hops (bittering hop)
(0.5 oz. of 3.5% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
1 oz. dried ginger root
1 oz. bitter orange peel
White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale) or Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Abbey) yeast
O.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

First ... good choice of beers to clone. The Hennepin is a fantastic brew. Second, I'd never use dried ginger, if I could avoid it. From my cooking experiences, I think that the overall ginger flavor of dried is about 3/4 that of fresh, so I'd use 3/4 oz. of fresh for your recipe. I'd grate it on a zester, if you have one, or chop it as finely as possible, if not.

Let us know how it turns out! I'd love to make a Hennepin clone at some point.

Thanks e lo, I'll let you know how it turns out. I also need to make it down to the Ommegang brewery this summer, and hit the baseball hall of fame while I'm at it. I'm only 1.5 hrs or so away, and I love thier beer. I here they have a nice set-up out there in Cooperstown.

I recently did a Ginger-Sesame Red ale. We were looking for a prominent ginger flavor, so we used about a 1.5" piece of fresh ginger root that weighed in at 1.1 oz. for 30 min. This gave it a pretty prominent ginger flavor. Judging by this and what I remember of Hennepin's taste, I'd start with about .5 oz. of sliced, fresh ginger (enough surface area, trust me) for your fist batch since the ginger flavor isn't very prominent in Hennepin.

Just my opinion.

Speaking of my opinion, +1 on the good choice and tastiness of Hennepin. Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Thats the BYO Hennepin clone, right? I did that one and used fresh ginger. It turned out excellent! From memory, it tastes a lot like the real deal. I need to do a side by side still to be sure though. Either way it tastes great.

Oh yeah, I used the WYeast Saison instead on the recommendation of folks here.

Thanks guys, and yeah, that is the BYO recipe. I thought about using the Saison yeast, only after the fact b/c I didn't even know there was a saison yeast when i made my order. Shouldn't make much difference I would think, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back