advice on whether to add another packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a smash pilsner fermenting and would like to see if folks think I should pitch another packet of yeast (dry lager 34/70, rehydrated).

I only pitched one, as per Mr. Malty, but then later remembered one should double the pitch rate when brewing a lager. This is my first lager.

Not sure if a gravity reading or some other test would inform this question. I am holding off because I figure why open the fermenter if I don't need to. I sniffed the airlock so I could share anything I'm smelling, but I don't smell much.

It's been one week (took a couple days to form some krausen,. which you can see from the picture is still there). It's been at about 52F steady in my chest freezer since I pitched. There's been a tiny bit of yeast activity for a few days. No airlock bubbling that I've witnessed.

Recipe was 11 lb of pilnser malt (and saaz hops). OG was 1.060.

So, if it were you, would you pitch another package of 34/70?

Thanks!

lager1.jpg

I ferment lagers at about the same temperature. I need a full 3 weeks to get to FG. At two weeks, it's usually still 5 gravity points from finishing. I bump it up 5 degrees and it finishes by end of week 3.

To answer your question, based on a really healthy krausen I see in that picture, don't mess with it. Don't bother checking the gravity for at least another week.

I ferment lagers at about the same temperature. I need a full 3 weeks to get to FG. At two weeks, it's usually still 5 gravity points from finishing. I bump it up 5 degrees and it finishes by end of week 3.

To answer your question, based on a really healthy krausen I see in that picture, don't mess with it. Don't bother checking the gravity for at least another week.
Hi. +1^^^ this. It looks like a nice healthy fermentation going on. You won't always get rhino farts, or big time bubbling in your airlock, but your little yeast buddies are doing their work...just at their own pace. @passedpawn 's advice is sound. Let 'er ride and leave it alone! Ed
:mug:

Yes, you underpitched by about 50%. But since you are at high Krausen, it's too late. You will still make beer, but your next one with a proper pitch rate will likely be even better

Back