Topsflo output size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
So received new topsflo 24v D.C. Pump from bobby today. Looks great other than the small output port (relative to input) size. I have read a lot about maintaining full port valves and lines etc etc but doesn't everything downstream seem irrelevant when the first orifice is the smallest along the line? I'm no hydrodynamic professional. Can someone enlighten me. I was considering returning some new 3 way valves due to their .47" port size but now I'm not so sure.

So received new topsflo 24v D.C. Pump from bobby today. Looks great other than the small output port (relative to input) size. I have read a lot about maintaining full port valves and lines etc etc but doesn't everything downstream seem irrelevant when the first orifice is the smallest along the line? I'm no hydrodynamic professional. Can someone enlighten me. I was considering returning some new 3 way valves due to their .47" port size but now I'm not so sure.
the truth is thats not how it works... the port size can restrict flow yes but the topsflo pumps can pump up to 5 gpm with the right power and in home brewing It might help if you explain what your trying to do with it that you believe you will benefit from faster flow?
Most people recirculate, sparge or chill at a much slower rate with ballvalves to restrict flow I use smaller 3gpm DC pumps and I turn those down half the time...

the truth is thats not how it works... the port size can restrict flow yes but the topsflo pumps can pump up to 5 gpm with the right power and in home brewing It might help if you explain what your trying to do with it that you believe you will benefit from faster flow?
Most people recirculate, sparge or chill at a much slower rate with ballvalves to restrict flow I use smaller 3gpm DC pumps and I turn those down half the time...

It will be used in a recirculating biab single vessel setup. Along the way will be 2-3 way t flow valves for redirecting flow into a CFC. I shouldn't need the full flow from the pump during the mash but I was hoping to maximize the flow during the cooling cycle as well as the whirlpool. I was just wondering in going from 1/2" tubing down to possibly 3/8" through the valves is going to significantly slow the flow down or just increase velocity. Again, I am no engineer. I do however tend to overthink things. In answer to your other question, I don't need faster flow. I'm just hoping to take advantage of the flow that does come out of the pump without putting too many roadblocks up.I hope this makes sense.

It will be used in a recirculating biab single vessel setup. Along the way will be 2-3 way t flow valves for redirecting flow into a CFC. I shouldn't need the full flow from the pump during the mash but I was hoping to maximize the flow during the cooling cycle as well as the whirlpool. I was just wondering in going from 1/2" tubing down to possibly 3/8" through the valves is going to significantly slow the flow down or just increase velocity. Again, I am no engineer. I do however tend to overthink things. In answer to your other question, I don't need faster flow. I'm just hoping to take advantage of the flow that does come out of the pump without putting too many roadblocks up.I hope this makes sense.

The diameter of combined fittings and hoses do add up to more restriction but for some reason the smaller diameter of the pump input and output doesnt seem to matter as much. If fact it can possibly benefit the efficiency of the pump I believe... Like I said I measure 3 gallons per minute with my flow meter of these much smaller 24v p38i foodgrade pps plastic pumps.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-...d=100284&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=361163382356 and I just bought the 5gpm version to see if its in fact stronger and has more flow.http://www.ebay.com/itm/301933987454 the ports on these are much smaller than my old topsflo pump.

Back