Dry Hopped Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maaseyracer

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making my own recipe. I have brewed several kits and several of the recipes on this site. With some success as well as a few failures, and many lessons learned. My thoughts on this IPA are to keep the Alcohol below 5% and and the OG around 1.045.

I would love to hear the communities thoughts on this beer, suggestions, comments and ramblings are more than welcomed.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: 0.75L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 53
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation: 7days
Secondary Fermentation: 7days

8 lbs. Pale Malt
0.5 lbs. Crystal 60L

1 oz Centennial 60 Min
0.5 oz Centennial 30 Min
0.5 oz Simcoe 5 Min

1oz Centennial Dry Hop in Secondary
1oz Simcoe Dry Hop in Secondary

Mash at 151 for 60min.

After secondary fermentation add, 3.3oz of Table sugar to carbonate and bottle.

:mug:

I've had success doing a similar style with "hop bursting" or ramping up the hop additions in the last 15 min. So I would do additions at 15/5/0 minutes and whirlpool/hopstand for 15-20 minutes. Adjust your 60 minute addition to get your desired IBU level. Then dryhop for 3-5 days.

This method has resulted in strong "in your face" hop flavor and aroma, which is probably what you want for a session IPA.

Session IPA or not, you're still going to want to hop it quite a bit. I'd probably double the amount of hops (at least) you have listed and move them to the last 10 minutes of the boil and flame out. I'd choose a more typical bittering hop (Magnum, Warrior, etc.) and probably add about .25 to .5 oz at 60 minutes.

I'd bump your mash temp to 154, and maybe throw in a dash of dextrin.

I'd consider swapping your base malt for something with a bit more flavor like Vienna.

Finally, look for a less attenuative yeast so that it doesn't finish too dry, and lose the mouthfeel.

I like to jazz up my malts a bit. Some toasted malt is good in a light IPA. A bit of flaked barley is good for body and head. I use Munich or Vienna in many styles as a 20% ( or so) substitute for the two row.
There are lots of others that can be used in small quantities to add a bit of mystery to your ales.
Sometimes I throw in an ounce or two of black patent, mostly for color so it doesn't look like Bud. (also because I was given a couple of pounds of it)

Awesome suggestions, I am going to play with these suggestions in Beer Smith and see what I come up with. Is too out of character for adding candy sugar to this type of beer post boil? I have around 8 oz left over from a previous brew. Also would WLP002 be a better session yeast?

Do not add sugar it will dry out the beer but also ramp up the abv. Use 001 and that will take u to your FG fine it's a great ale yeast. I second what others hve said about the hops use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior and then place those other ibus late for flavor.

You could try making it a RyePA instead. I have found that I just love everything about rye. It will add kind of a spicy/peppery flavor. You could substitute a couple pounds of pale 2-row for a couple pounds of rye malt. Also I would increase the hops for sure. I would definitely double the dry hops. and double the late additions.

Session IPA or not, you're still going to want to hop it quite a bit. I'd probably double the amount of hops (at least) you have listed and move them to the last 10 minutes of the boil and flame out. I'd choose a more typical bittering hop (Magnum, Warrior, etc.) and probably add about .25 to .5 oz at 60 minutes.

I'd consider swapping your base malt for something with a bit more flavor like Vienna.

Finally, look for a less attenuative yeast so that it doesn't finish too dry, and lose the mouthfeel.

Dead on. I'd even ditch the 60 min all together, if you are doing a hop stand for 20-30 min with 4 oz of hops and another 3 oz of hops within the last 15 min it won't need an early charge.

Dead on. I'd even ditch the 60 min all together, if you are doing a hop stand for 20-30 min with 4 oz of hops and another 3 oz of hops within the last 15 min it won't need an early charge.

I would use 001 or 1056 and just mash 154-156.

Back