Fermenting in a closed chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

My fellow brewers and I found a 11.1 cubic foot chest freezer on craigslist for $75 so we snagged it and set it up with a space heater and a temperature control unit for a fermentation chamber.

Currently we have a Kolsch that's been fermenting for about 10 days and an IIPA (Pliny clone, really pumped) that we put in 2 days ago. We set the temperature to 16C for the first 24 hours of the IIPA and have since then increased the temperature to 17.5C. We're slowly warming it up to 20C by about 0.5C a day.

My question is if we should open the freezer every now and then to release pressure buildup from the fermentation, since the freezer is a closed system. I've been opening it daily. Currently I can tell it's mostly CO2 in there because it's got a really funky smell (the cominbation of a kolsch and IIPA fermenting in close quarters) and when I put my head in to smell it feels like I'm breathing CO2.

Anything I need to watch out for?

Dont't take a big breath of CO2 while your leaned over the freezer. You could pass out and fall in..

Dont't take a big breath of CO2 while your leaned over the freezer. You could pass out and fall in..

^^ Not a joke.

No, you don't need to open it. Here's a pic of 6 active fermentors (and a pumpkin!) in mine. No problem.

fermenting-with-pumpkin-61277.jpg

^^^Thats what I was refereeing too.. You got a big sniff of the CO2 in the chest freezer and not just the airlock co2. It is very harsh, almost like a burning feeling.

Co2 is heavier than air. Opening the top will do nothing other than letting any buildup of pressure out. The rest of the chest will stay full of co2 unless you vent it out somehow.

I wouldn't go that far. CO2 is quite harsh on the nose. Your natural instincts will have you jumping back like a rabbit if you take a deep breath. Try taking a wiff from a co2 line sometime, of from your fermenter.

Now if you're fiddling around with something on the bottom (wiping up a mess) and your nose is around a lower concentration zone for an extended time, you could run into a problem. You'll feel light headed and if you don't get you're head out of there quick enough you could pass out and end up in a bad place.

I wouldn't go that far. CO2 is quite harsh on the nose. Your natural instincts will have you jumping back like a rabbit if you take a deep breath. Try taking a wiff from a co2 line sometime, of from your fermenter.

Now if you're fiddling around with something on the bottom (wiping up a mess) and your nose is around a lower concentration zone for an extended time, you could run into a problem. You'll feel light headed and if you don't get you're head out of there quick enough you could pass out and end up in a bad place.

If you take a deep enough of a breath and your body doesn't react quick enough you can pass out. It doesn't take much depending on the person, some react differently than others. I have smelled the CO2 before from my chest freezer as I had a co2 leak in my kegerator. And I wouldn't recommend deliberately breathing the CO2 from a CO2 line either.

Whoah!

Just now stuck my head into my chest freezer to take a whiff of what my fermenting pilsner smells like (first lager so wanted a data point). Didn't smell much, then stuck my head in further and hit what I assume is the CO2 layer.

Very nasty smell and gave me a coughing fit. Now I have a headache.

I've seen debates on these forums about whether the CO2 layer is a myth. I'd say the fact that the top third of my chest freezer was fine, but below that nearly knocked me unconscious settles that for me!

Now my throat is starting to get sore. Wow.

Is your Fight Milk made with real crow?

Mostly pigeons. After the first couple of crows they wised up and won't let me get close enough. Smart little bastards...

Honestly, it might not be entirely legal so I can't recommend it for everyone. But I know a guy that's very knowledgeable in bird law that helps me out.

Have children. Feed them well for about 15 years, then you're good to go!

Or go buy a Gorilla on the black market. Get really big diapers for it, or you'll be sorry.

:mug:

Hhhaaaa!...funny.:mug:...you needed to specify having boys though...my girls are wimps.

My children are likely older than most all of you, and I'm retired. Pulling glass carboys out of chest freezers is not for me.

Back