Homemade PBW Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the most up-to-date formula?

Per post #11 I have 48% 'Oxygen cleaner', 32% TSP-90, 20% Seventh Generation by weight.

And does it matter what brand name oxy cleaner we use?

Picked up my hobo pbw. Going to take it for a test run after I bottle my next batch

Make sure you post your findings here as to help the other HB'ers. Effective? Same, better, not as good as PBW? I'm curious to know what others have found with the cheaper mix.

Oxyclean Free. It's uncented and bleach free. I tried to attach a photo but couldn't. So here is the Walmart canada link.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oxiclean-free-versatile-stain-remover-136kg/6000072430566

Well, the OP started out with Sun Oxygen brand, I'v seen it mentioned a few times to try the dollar store for generic brands instead of paying for Oxyclean Free. So I'm wondering if they are all the same or if we would need to adjust the recipe for different brand names?

Make sure you post your findings here as to help the other HB'ers. Effective? Same, better, not as good as PBW? I'm curious to know what others have found with the cheaper mix.

Works awesomely... After I transfer my beer out of the fermenter, I rinse the sludge out and then put a couple tablespoons full into the fermenter and fill with hot water... Let sit for a few hours (sometime overnight) and the krausen ring has disappeared.

Just as good as PBW in my mind.

Works awesomely... After I transfer my beer out of the fermenter, I rinse the sludge out and then put a couple tablespoons full into the fermenter and fill with hot water... Let sit for a few hours (sometime overnight) and the krausen ring has disappeared.

Does it rinse as well as PBW? The only reason I've never used oxi clean is all the rinsing it took. I have hard water so maybe that was the prob. PBW rinses easy though 2 rinses and it good to go.

Does it rinse as well as PBW? The only reason I've never used oxi clean is all the rinsing it took. I have hard water so maybe that was the prob. PBW rinses easy though 2 rinses and it good to go.

I was using oxy+TSP90, and my hard water gave me problems as well. The addition of the 7th gen dish washing powder improves the rinsing a lot.

I was using oxy+TSP90, and my hard water gave me problems as well. The addition of the 7th gen dish washing powder improves the rinsing a lot.

That's funny as I have always found PBW leaves kind of a slimy feel that needs to be rinsed off, and it's not as bad with the Oxy/TSP mix.

I wonder what's in the 7th gen that takes care of the hard water issue? I don't have hard water so I'm good with the simple mix.

I wonder what's in the 7th gen that takes care of the hard water issue? I don't have hard water so I'm good with the simple mix.

The issue I had with my water was a minerally residue if left to soak for extended periods. Otherwise oxy/tsp90 by itself cleaned well. Not sure if / how much the 7th gen improves the cleaning properties.

The 7th gen may provide mostly a chelate, (citric acid), to deal with hard water.

I managed to finally hit Family Dollar today... Their 3 lb tubs of store-brand oxi were $5... about $2.50 or so less than what they were selling the real Oxi-Clean brand for.

I just cracked open a tub of the Family Dolllar brand Oxi cleaner... The added fragrance is mild (much less than LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Base cleaner, for instance) but it does still have the small blue crystals... So it's more like regular Oxiclean Versatile and not Oxiclean Versatile Free.

The Sun Oxygen cleaner still wins on price and being fragrance free...

Is anyone still able to buy the Sun brand? If so, where?

So glad I found this thread! I was able to find all of the ingredients of the original recipe here in TX, but I did decide to go with the cheaper 4.5lb box of TSP I found at HD opposed to TSP/90.

I know (from reading this thread) that TSP/90 is a substitute for TSP, but my question is, would I still use the same proportions? The brand is Savogran if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys!

So glad I found this thread! I was able to find all of the ingredients of the original recipe here in TX, but I did decide to go with the cheaper 4.5lb box of TSP I found at HD opposed to TSP/90.

I know (from reading this thread) that TSP/90 is a substitute for TSP, but my question is, would I still use the same proportions? The brand is Savogran if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys!

I'm not even sure anymore what the original recipe is? Lol, try the 70/30 Oxy/TSP mix and go from there. I don't believe there is difference when it comes to brand with regards to TSP, but the Oxy should be The Versatile Free version, no scent no bleach. The green lid.

i just tested out my batch and it works just like PBW. I would follow the exact recipe on the first page. I found the Red Devil TSP at ace. The Sun Oxi clean was hard to find .. it's at winco and the seventh Gen at Osh. This is from Norther Ca., if you are looking for where find them in CA.

Thanks guys!

It seems the "TSP" label is for some reason confusing people. Trisodium phosphate, which "TSP" stands for, is not in PBW. Who knows, maybe the only reason it's not is because it's so bad to flush it down the drain and real breweries are held accountable for what they do flush down the drain. The OP's intent was to replicate the proportions of the important ingredients found in PBW. It just so happens that "TSP/90" is actually sodium metasilicate, an ingredient that is in PBW. It's simply a coincidence that it is marketed as a "TSP" substitute. That does not mean that "TSP" is a "TSP/90" substitute in PBW.

I don't know that the metasilicate is even necessary and there hasn't been any solid rationale provided for its inclusion. In my experience a 75/25 proportion of Oxygen Cleaner (no matter what brand, but preferably unscented) and the 7th Gen Dishwasher Detergent works very well and rinses better than straight Oxygen Cleaner (which still usually works fine just by itself).

It seems the "TSP" label is for some reason confusing people.

My choice of going with regular TSP wasnt a matter of label confusion. It's use has been brought up in this thread several times. There are a few guys successfully using it combined with oxy. It indeed isn't the same chemical compound, but it supposedly (hopefully) serves the same intended purpose.

The TSP90 is a strong base. Helps react with fatty or oily stuff.

TSP trisodium phosphate is also a strong base that reacts with fatty oily stuff. Used for cleaning grease stains. And is a FDA approved additive. So if you can't get tsp/90 which I can't I canada. Because it's not sold at any canadian retailers. I talked to the canadian account sales rep at red devil, and she confirmed it for me after pulling some reports. ( nice lady ) so that's why I'm using it.

TSP trisodium phosphate is also a strong base that reacts with fatty oily stuff. Used for cleaning grease stains. And is a FDA approved additive. So if you can't get tsp/90 which I can't I canada. Because it's not sold at any canadian retailers. I talked to the canadian account sales rep at red devil, and she confirmed it for me after pulling some reports. ( nice lady ) so that's why I'm using it.

Yup.... Both are typically used as degreasing cleaners.... Mix with warm water and wipe down a wall prior or painting for instance... Or clean off greasy build up on kitchen cabinets, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about subbing "real" TSP for TSP90...

Oxiclean is what a lot of users recommend, and if I could get away with it I would. Unfortunately the water I use has a hardness over 400 ppm, and I need the chelator from the detergent to bind to the leftover metal ions on my equipment. ;)

_TheTrevster_ hoping you can help me since your post is over my head :confused:. My water from the well and thru a water softener measures something like 1300 ppm on the TDS meter. If I'm using the tap water to clean, is it possible that something is binding to my equipment when I clean it? I'm currently using PBW, but will switch to whatever works best for my crappy water. Thanks!

So maybe I missed it but I'm a bit confused on the actual ratios... If I'm using oxyclean free /tsp90/sun cleaner? Some comments had ratios different than implied in the op

So maybe I missed it but I'm a bit confused on the actual ratios... If I'm using oxyclean free /tsp90/sun cleaner? Some comments had ratios different than implied in the op

The updated proportions are on the second page. The OP just dropped the Seventh Generation from 45oz to 40oz.

96oz Sun Oxygen Cleaner
64oz TSP/90
40oz Seventh Gen.

The other ratios aren't the PBW "clone", just what some people are using with success. Those ratios exclude the Seventh Generation, which from what I've gathered, isn't entirely necessary if you're using soft water.

Somebody said Sun oxy was hard to find. I get it at Wally's. Wally dot com has it as well and you can do site to store.

Hmmm... not for me.. :mad:

It's been "Not Available at this time" online for months now. Went searching in-store and the dude on the floor had never seen it.

I got my first 2 tubs from WallyWorld online (shipped to home), but now I'm almost out. I've been looking and can't find it anywhere.

Sun.png

You guys skeert me. Bought 2 tubs Sun oxy at Wally's today. There were 3 on the shelf but there was a lady there quizzing me on how good it was. I couldn't lie to her and explained how America's Test Kitchen rates sodium percarbonate as its only recommended stain remover.

Wonder if it's just a SoCal problem, then?

I can find other off-brand oxi cleaners but they all have fragrance added.

I can't even find the sun brand online via wally search... I can get to it via Google, but I get what is shown in the image above.

Does it show as available online for you soccerdad?

Dollar Tree has "LA’s Totally Awesome Power Oxygen Base Cleaner, 16 oz." for $1/16 Oz, minimum 12 bottles/jars. Don't know if it's scented or not. Doesn't say on the website.

@jtratcliff - I did not see it at walmart.com but I called Sun and talked to Shelly - she said that the product IS still being manufactured and the fact that it is offered in 3 different sizes indicates that it is popular enough to remain in the product lineup. The photo you had from the web shows a slightly different package than what I bought this morning which 'could' mean that supplies are low right now due to a package redesign. In the meantime I will be selling one tablespoon baggies at $2 each .. plus shipping. :) j/k

Dollar Tree has "LA’s Totally Awesome Power Oxygen Base Cleaner, 16 oz." for $1/16 Oz, minimum 12 bottles/jars. Don't know if it's scented or not. Doesn't say on the website.

Yeah, I've tried some of that, also some of the Family Dollar brand, and some Pawls brand from 99¢ Only Store.

All have fragrance :(

Pawls is 2lb for a dollar btw...

The LA's Totally Awesome had a lot of fragrance and looked a bit different than the others. The Pawls and Family Dollar brands looked just looked just like regular oxiclean.... Blue crystals and all.

Just wanted to add my experience that I followed the original recipe (except OxiFree replaces Sun percarbonate) from the first page and that through brief initial testing it seems to work great. Time will tell if it is as good as PBW, but I think it's good enough to make it unnecessary to spend substantially more on real PBW. Will post again if there turn out to be any issues.

Found my supplies at:

OxiClean Free (Walmart)
Seventh Generation dishwashing detergent (Target)
Red Devil TSP substitute (Ace Hardware)

Yeah the clorox brand should work, but it's not really any cheaper than oxiclean free.

That's the beauty of the Sun cleaner from Wally world... It's less than a $1 per lb (cheaper than the various dollar store offerings) but also has no fragrance, like oxiclean free

I add 4 ounces of straight citric acid to the formula on the second page, and since Sun Oxy seems to be unavailable right now, I have to pay a little more and get 54 oz container of Kroger oxygen cleaner.

My recipe:
96 oz Kroger Home Sense Oxygen cleaner
48 oz TSP/90
40 oz Seventh Gen Dishwashing Detergent
4 oz Ball Citric Acid

Gets the peroxy/chelator ratio a little more in the middle of the range. Should help anyone with hard water.

And after playing with/correcting the numbers (it looks like the percarbonate and carbonate numbers are flipped in the spreadsheets on page 1&2), I've come up with something which should come a little closer and be a little simpler for guys like me who only make close to a 3 pound batch...

2 pounds Kroger Home Sense Oxygen cleaner
1 pound Red Devil TSP/90
8 ounces Seventh Gen Dishwashing Detergent
1.5 ounces Ball Citric Acid

Back