Check out the Brewery logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsteg

Reaction score
Not anywhere even close to being a seasoned brewer (in fact, I only just finished my first home brew last week) but I thought I'd play around with photoshop and come up with a cool logo.

It's a mix between my last name - Miller and my buddy's last name who I'm brewing with - Smokvin.

Obviously I can't use Miller haha but check it out and let me know what you think.

SmoklerNewUnmergedcopy-1.jpg

And if you don't like it... ;)

2011-03-30_17-15-51_711-1.jpg

While I like the simplicity of it, it's almost identical in design to AHS' Rogness Brewing. But simplicity is a great thing when it comes to marketing and logos.

Do you have a link to the Rogness brewing logo?

email-Rogness-Brewing-Company-Logo.gif

That's what's on Austin Homebrew's website. Their main webpage here shows a different logo however: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1430625811/rogness-brewing-company-hand-crafted-small-batches

Nothing wrong with your logo at all. Like I said, simplicity is a fantastic thing in marketing and business. The key is for people to have no trouble remembering or recognizing your logo. Obviously it's also easy to look alike. But personally, I really like your logo.

In fact, i've never seen the Rogness logo before now. I designed mine from a blank white form on photoshop with a few hints of the millercoors logo that I liked.

I'm in the marketing/sales consultation business. My wife is a graphic designer specializing in branding. So, it's a subject I'm involved with on a very regular basis.

From a color standpoint, you've chosen brown. Brown evokes feelings of stability and reliability and history. Not exactly bad feelings to stir up, but I would add another color element. Stability by itself is kind of boring.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think there's a bit too much empty white space inside the circle. Blank space isn't a bad thing and can be powerful. In this case, however, I would beef up the "s" somewhat.

That brings me to my last point. What is your logo trying to say? Or rather what are you trying to make your logo say? Every aspect of your logo should have meaning. Elements that are only present to look good or cool make a logo less effective. Make sure your elements work together. Your crooked "s" gives off the impression that your brand is unconventional - perhaps lots of rare or experimental beers. Yet your chosen color brown contradicts that notion.

Figure out what you want your brand to say and stand for, then use that to design your logo. A "cool" logo for the sake of being cool isn't typically something to shoot for. I'm not saying yours is that way. I'm just pointing out that a lot more goes into a successful logo than most people think. Good luck!

cimirie - Thanks for the feedback. Lot's of good insight you have.

Stittsville - Thanks buddy!

StittsvilleJames said:
For the record, I like it because it's cool.

You can like it because it's cool. I think it's cool. But believe it or not, "cool" logos don't earn any traction or consideration with the buying public unless they convey a message or meaning.

Now, I'm fully aware this is a homebrew logo and non-commercial. Therefore, the same end-results aren't necessarily aimed for. But, the man asked for feedback and it's a subject I'm well-versed in. Paying clients don't always listen so I've no illusion that an anonymous voice online will strike a chord, but I wanted to help bring a (quasi) learned voice to bear.

similar = idential even down the the exact size of the white circle and its location withing the outer circle.

Weird.

*eyeroll*

Sizes change, especially on the freakin' Internet. The two logos are quite different if you have an eye for that type of thing.

Rogness has two distinct circles, while Milsteg's is actually nested arcs/crescents. The size and font of the letters are distinctly different, and the colors are from entirely different palates.

Might as well say every corporate logo with a "swoosh" is copying Nike.

Justibone said:
THIS guy's entire post is what good feedback actually looks like. :mug:

(I trimmed it so that it didn't take up the whole page.)

Thanks! I just try and contribute the way many have helped me.

Not to hijack but can I get some feedback on my logo?

I'm in the marketing/sales consultation business. My wife is a graphic designer specializing in branding. So, it's a subject I'm involved with on a very regular basis.

From a color standpoint, you've chosen brown. Brown evokes feelings of stability and reliability and history. Not exactly bad feelings to stir up, but I would add another color element. Stability by itself is kind of boring.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think there's a bit too much empty white space inside the circle. Blank space isn't a bad thing and can be powerful. In this case, however, I would beef up the "s" somewhat.

That brings me to my last point. What is your logo trying to say? Or rather what are you trying to make your logo say? Every aspect of your logo should have meaning. Elements that are only present to look good or cool make a logo less effective. Make sure your elements work together. Your crooked "s" gives off the impression that your brand is unconventional - perhaps lots of rare or experimental beers. Yet your chosen color brown contradicts that notion.

Figure out what you want your brand to say and stand for, then use that to design your logo. A "cool" logo for the sake of being cool isn't typically something to shoot for. I'm not saying yours is that way. I'm just pointing out that a lot more goes into a successful logo than most people think. Good luck!

hb_label.jpg

No expert either but as an art student we critique stuff like this all the time...

I personally Like the Hell Bent text with the lighting bolt in between. It's very clean with a nice sans serif typeface. I agree with Justibone, there is a clash when it is combined with the circle logo that utilizes an older serif lettering.

In short, I think they are simple, and strong on their own but clash when shown together.

Back