How long to age a dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have my first dubbel attempt bottled and it has sat long enough to carb up ( I couldn't hold off and cracked one a week back) It was almost there and had a nice alcohol warmth to it. what is the average time frame as far as aging it in the bottle? OR is it ready to drink once it is carbed up?

I brewed a NB #8 (which is a dubbel) and left it in the primary for more than 5 weeks and then moved it to the secondary for more than 3 weeks. NB instructions call for 5-6 weeks of fermentation and then up to two in the bottle. Everything I read though says leave it go as long as you can. It's been in the bottle for a week and hard to resist, but I am going to do so as long as I can. I want to give it atleast three weeks in the bottle before I crack open the first one. That will be about 3 months since brew date, one month longer than NB instructions call for. I plan to let it last as long as possible.

Back