Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsyltucky

Reaction score
Where does everyone get their smoking, curing, sausage making supplies?

There are a good number of well stocked websites... how about brick and mortar places? Anyone get supplies from a local butcher?

-JD

I think casings wise, the interwebs will be your best choice. Why pay the butcher extra for them? I'm gonna try making deer sausage with kit that came from cabelas.

Also, my parents have plenty of trees for me to get smoke wood from.

I usually get my casings from the local meat market, for me it is cheaper than getting them online. They don't normally sell them, so sometimes I get funny looks and they're not sure what to charge me but it always works out. The nice thing about doing it this way is that I can buy smaller portions.

The absolute cheapest I've gotten them, though, is from a butcher's supply company. But then I have to buy a whole hank, which is about 3 lbs of casings. I've had good luck breaking it up into smaller packages and freezing it.

Moose

If you get a full hank in a bucket of brine, cant you just take out what you need and close it back up. Will it not keep like that?

Apparently you can. Since you posed that question, It made me curious. I was told once to freeze them, and so that's what I've done. But now I just read that you should never freeze them, and that they'll hold for a year or two when refrigerated in brine.

You learn something new everyday. I guess I'll go back to buying full hanks.

Moose

Apparently you can. Since you posed that question, It made me curious. I was told once to freeze them, and so that's what I've done. But now I just read that you should never freeze them, and that they'll hold for a year or two when refrigerated in brine.

You learn something new everyday. I guess I'll go back to buying full hanks.

Moose

Thats what I thought, but I didn't think they actually needed to be kept refrigerated.

Back