SMASH!!!!!!.....blood....sweat....tears...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dibby33 said:
P.S. Sitting at work drinking a 3yr old bottle of Theaksons Old Peculiar. Yippeee
:mug:

......ok.... where the hell do you work? Sitting at work drinking beer? :rockin: I mean I LOVE my job, I really do. But beer at work? And on the internet surfing beer sites? I don't care if you get paid 2 dollars an hour, I could put in some serious overtime at that place to make up the difference! At the same time drinking my cares away. :mug:

Do you have these in the States?
4" screw cap with a hole for an airlock & bung
2x carry handles.
219%20-%20ferment%201%20week_jpg_jpg.jpg

lucky excape there JR - still sounds nasty though
Matt

lorenae said:
I've only broken one carboy, and it was because I dropped it. No injuries, just a mess. But my friend had a visit to the ER when she broke one. It seems like the breakage is random, but it really isn't. It might get bumped several times and not break or show any damage- but then you just lightly bump it against the sink and SMASH. That's what happened to my friend- she had hauled a full 5 gallon carboy to the basement by herself, let it ferment and then racked it. Then picking it up to clean it in the basement sink, she lightly rapped it against the faucet. She drove herself to the ER (only 1 mile away) to the hospital where I work. Lots of bruising and quite a few stitches on her wrist. She had a big bandage for a while. She said there was lots of bleeding.

I think carboys are pretty durable, and I bet I must bump them or use water that's too hot or something, and they show no signs of breakage. Then suddenly, they might break. The straw that breaks the camel's back. I have one 3 gallon BB that I've never used (I bought it for wine), and one 5 gallon that I use all the time. The BBs are lighter to carry and unbreakable. I'm going to have to get some more.

Lorena

I think you're dead right with this Lorena. Has anyone barely bumped a glass in the sink and it just breaks? More than likely it's been bumped a few times and this time it was just right.

But Joe, I think you might be right with your situation. It would only seem to make sense that the hot water and the glass being exposed to a much colder environment in the garage caused the glass to be a bit more "brittle". One little bump and bam....

I know I've read here that HB-Bill and others use milk crates for their carboys. It's what I ended up putting my 6.5's in to move em' around but to keep em' safe. "BrewHauler" straps seem to be a good idea for moving them as well.

Ize

Grimsawyer said:
......ok.... where the hell do you work? Sitting at work drinking beer? :rockin: I mean I LOVE my job, I really do. But beer at work? And on the internet surfing beer sites? I don't care if you get paid 2 dollars an hour, I could put in some serious overtime at that place to make up the difference! At the same time drinking my cares away. :mug:

I work as a software engineer / programmer / analyst, whatever you want to call me. Beer poured into a glass looks just like coke. Not that the boss would mind anyway - as long as the work gets done. In fact he is normally the first one to mention beers at the nearest pub (50meters away) on Fridays.

There is another guy here that makes homebrew and we bring in bottles to try. He hasn't made any for a couple of years and I think I have just about got him motivated enough to start again :tank:

...best get back to it. work that is, too early for beer here :(

Back